So, I'm back in a Disco 1 - modifying questions

M005

I've gone back to my LR roots and bought (not yet seen / collected) a Disco 1, same colour as before but this ones an auto.

After trawling around on the web I've decided to plump for 245 75 MT's and 'adjust' the bodywork to suit. I don't really want to give it a lift as can't be bothered with longer brake lines etc, so this seems to be the biggest.

Other questions;

What have people done with the rear ends? I'll be removing the huge tow hitch to improve clearance, but what is the solution for a rear recovery point?

Are tank guards essential? I'll be bolting on steering & diff guards.

I put a safari snorkel on my last one, are these still the snorkel of choice, or is there anything cheaper about?

I'll possibly drop a winch on it at some point, but int he meantime will just trim the front bumper.

Now I just need to find time to use it....

Thanks.

Best solution (IMHO) for the rear end is a HD rear bumper - gives you somewhere to bolt a recovery point to, and stops you pulling the fragile plastic bits off the end.

Tank guard I would not regard as essential. unless you also want to tow - The southdown guard is also a removable tow hitch (and recovery point negating the need for one on the bumper...)

tyre size is good, although you will find the gearing a bit sluggish with the auto - I know I do...

Safari snorkel sticks out too far at the side - personally I prefer the southdown offering as it is kept tucked in. Personal choice really though.

hth

Mark

I put a massive dent in my fuel tank on my previous disco - ironically this only happens when you remove the tow bar for the increased clearance.

I got a fantastic Equippe aluminium tank guard second hand and still not cheap but worth every penny - it was badged up by LRS Offroad if you were in fro a new one.

Jate rings of eblag sorts our rear recovery points but can be used with the tank guard :(

I got a HD rear bumper also. Still bent it mind.....

Home made B&Q snorkel with a few silicone hoses added did me, at £20 better than a southdown (too narrow) and surprisingly tough!

Stu.

tyre size is good, although you will find the gearing a bit sluggish with the auto - I know I do...

hth

Mark

I'm assuming that dropping to 245 70 would make some difference but not a lot?

Vehicle will be only used as a toy, so not too fussed about how quick it is.

Are the HD rear bumpers strong enough to mount a recovery point onto directly?

My HD rear bumper has a bracket that ties it back into the rear crossmember of the chassis, and gives you a nato bolt pattern:

gallery_92_191_1033.jpg

Came from discoparts, but I'm not sure if it's still available.

245/70 would make a bit of difference, but I don't know how much... I would go for the 75 profile and put up with it - just wanted to make you aware that it is more noticable in the auto is all... ;)

Cheers

Mark