Disco 1 V8

Cessna

Hi all,

I have a '96 V8 3.9l. Suddenly, last week in peak-hour traffic, she decided to start idling erratically and stalled. I couldn't get her re-started immediately, and had to wait about an hour. After restart, I managed to drive home, but it felt as if she wasn't firing on all 8 cylinders. The smart spider has been removed a while back. I checked the stepper motor and it seems to be working.(it steps after the ignition is turned off). The MAF also seems to be ok. Which of the remaining sensors are most likely to cause this problem? After a restart, the mixture smells extremely rich and the emissions burn your eyes and throat if you take a quick whiff.

What plugs did you fit - cheap and nasty or decent ones? I fitted cheap ones once and they lasted 6 months...

Pull a couple and see what the conditon is like.

SA - whats the fuel quality like? Worth running some injector cleaner through the system occasionally.

I run mine on a SA tune resistor in the UK - turns the system from closed loop to open. If you have cats on yours you are running a closed loop so you may have an O2 sensor fault.

Spray some easy start or WD40 around the engine - try and notice any changes in RPM. if there is a change you have an air leak which will mess up your running.

Have you checked the timing? Plug gapping, HT lead routing - ensuring none are touching each other?

Need to do a systamatic approach - I know the above is abit all over the place, but try and work on a plan of attack - start with the easy things and go from there.

If you can make friends with a local garage that has a T4 with docking station then they can read the 14CUX via the white 4 pin plug under your dash tp diagonse any fault codes. Starts by looking at the coolant temp sensor, then goes to O2, misfires etc and gives a step by step check process.

Dave