Discovery buying advice please.

wobbly

Hi all,

New to the site, hope this is in the right section.

I am looking at taking part in a 'soft-road' tour in Tunisia next year.

At present I have a '54 plate Ford Ranger, its a nice enough car, tows the trailer ok, but its woefully underpowered and not high enough seating position.

I am looking at replacing it with a Disco., probably in the £5,000 to 6,000 region.

Looking at the engines, all are 2.5 diesel, but that money seems to include 300tdi or TD5 engines. All seem to have around 100,000 to 150,000 miles.

My last landie was a S3, and a 3.5 Range Rover before that, both well over 10 years ago, so no experience of these engines.

Is either more reliable, or is it a case of latest is the best?

Not a massive difference in price, no more than a grand, so no real financial advantage.

I am not intending any major mods, a spare set of AT's, a snorkel and some rooflights will be about it.....

Am going to be buying privately if I can, so what are the things to look for? Would prefer auto as my manual gear changing makes my passengers car sick!

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Hi

Can't help on the choice of engines... all the advice that I have seen and tend to offer relates to best condition, service history and all that stuff... no doubt someone will be along shortly on the subject of engines.

However, in terms of buying, you don't say where you are, but the auction results from Brightwells always make for interesting reading... the following two are lifted direct from their last results pages:

2002 52 Land Rover Discovery Diesel Sw 2.5 Td5 Gs 5 Seat 5dr Auto

91634 miles warranted, Red, V5 here, MoT 11 Feb'11, Face Lift, Climate Control, Alloy Wheels, Twin Sunroofs, No Major Mechanical Faults, No VAT.

£5,950

100% of CAP Clean

2001 Y Land Rover Discovery Diesel Sw 2.5 Td5 Gs 7 Seat 5dr

103000 miles warranted, Metallic Red, 6 Services, V5 here, MoT 26 Dec'10, Alloy Wheels, Twin Sunroofs, Colour Coded Bumper, Tow Bar, Roof Bars, Sold As Seen, No VAT.

£4,800

108% of CAP Clean

Hi Pete

both the 300Tdi and the Td5 are good engines. However down here in South Africa (Hot!) there seems to be a preference for serious offroad adventures for the 300Tdi.

This is mainly due to too much electronics on the Td5. Electronics don't like dust, heat, moisture etc etc.

In both cases you would be very well advised to fit an engine monitoring system, at least with water level and EGT (exhaust gas temperature) probes.

Both Disco engines are notorious for blowing cyl head gaskets, because there is no reliable early warning system on board, alerting the driver to low water condition and/or EGT going through the roof.

I write technical articles for one of the biggest classic car clubs in SA.

I hope to have assisted you.

George1