Smokey on start up

Mark T

Hi All, i was hoping for some advice from you good people out there if possible, I own a 2001 TD5 auto and have noticed it smokes quite abit when i pull away after starting, it never use to smoke this bad or not that i noticed but recently looking in my side mirrors/rear view mirror there is quite abit of smoke, eventually about 4 to 5 minutes it does seem to clear.

Any advice or ideas what it could be i would be grateful, hopefully not my engine packing up on me, its done 114,000 which i would think is nothing for a 4 x 4.

A friend suggested i tried replacing the fuel filter?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

hello there brother,

mine is a 2000 td5 disco 2 with exactly the same problem: it smokes for about 3 minutes or say half a mile and from then all appears normal. It only happens when I cold start it and when temperatures are (as now) quite cold.

Could the intercooler be involved, or the turbo? In my opinion there has to be some (quite small) oil leak somewhere inside the engine or one of its accessories.

Greetings from a fellow sufferer