my Disco is making a sucking noise and I clutch pedal is solid

Steve Nut

Hi everyone,

I was driving my ’95 300tdi disco home just after the New Year (London > Meath, ROI), I started to hear a tapping noise from the engine, because it was dark I drove afew more miles till I got to a petrol station ( as you do!) Popped the bonnet, I thought it was the fan hitting something (or vice versa) as the noise got faster with revs. ?? , couldn’t see anything or where it was coming from?.

I had just done about 350miles, had about 30 to go, it was late and f’ing frezzing …. So.. decided to just get home and look at it another day!!.

Started her up put her into gear and pulled off– something didn’t feel right?? … After a few gear changes realised that the clutch pedal was returning lower and lower with every depress of the pedal :o (guessed I was losing fluid) … chose my gear changes very carefully but eventually the pedal was on the floor and I had no clutch , somehow got home without having to stop, didn’t get round to looking at anything for a few days, but when I did and In the times that I’ve had time and the balls to bear the cold to look at her – she hasn’t started!. I haven’t found any leaks in the clutch system, thought it might have been the master cylinder, but I have replaced that and blead the system (with a ‘one man’ connect to a spare wheel bleeding kit) – pedal became solid and I couldn’t press it down?, so.. last w/end I took of the slave, I was able to push the piston back in with my thumb, and move it back out by pressing the pedal down? ..( the rubber has come off (I had to recover it from the pin inside the bell housing) – but I’m guessing this is just a dust shield?), there is no play with the pin that is connected to the rod/fork (in and out) and the pin is only breaching the clutch bell housing by a few MM, so would I be right in guessing the clutch rod/fork is bent??

Like I said above she hasn’t started since I got her home, the noise is still there.. When turning the engine over by the key (makes it hard to track where its coming from!).

To describe the noise I would say it’s sounds like a water pump sucking but not getting enough water/knocking type of noise??, if I leave her for a minute, just as I turn the key she wants to start but then just keeps turning over?, I’m thinking it’s a fuel problem so I’ve replaced the pick-up pump and moved the ‘prime’ handle up n’ down for 5mins – still no luck.

I can’t see how they would but have these two issues got anything in common? … I think it’s just my bad luck! :) lol

What is the procedure for testing if there is fuel getting to the chamber?

Sounds like your clutch fork has punched through on the pivot point. The two problems will be unrelated though. To test fuel delivery to the engine - crack the injectors one at a time (17mm spanner), then crank the engine and see if fuel squirts out.

Les.

Thanks Las!

so.. new folk .. and new clutch while i'm at it!! :(

I've changed a gearbox before on a disco - using a hoist and strap trough the gearstick hole, it took me hours, a pint of blood and a lot of f'ing n' binding just to get the gearbox to line up with the engine, do you think it would be any easier if i moved the engine away from the box?.. rather than the box away from the engine?

will test for fuel when i get a chance!!

Steve.

I agree - Slide the box back carefully. I've done this many times on trolley jack (on smoooth floor!). Clutch fork is a week link. When fitting new one, remember to put a blob of grease on recess, should then last a long while. Not a massive job really, but can be cold & wet in winter !!