rear crossmember

derekmate

see piccy below showing what items/panels i removed as part of the replacement (rear wings etc) My floor was rotten around the edges where it joined the inner floor and rear cross member so cut this out at the same time. A spot weld drill to remove the numerous spot welds is recommended.

It all depends how far you want to go, typically a rotten rear cross member is part of a wider rust problem - on mine the intermediate cross members (shown replaced in the piccy) needed replacing as well. Rear, and intermediate cross members will cost around £150 upwards in total.

If you only want to tackle the rear most cross member i would consider local cutting out and welding in.

There are numerous posts on this topic with lots of pictures (not for the faint hearted)

post-7113-126842936843_thumb.jpg

HI, I will just add my two pennies worth, having just completed this job.

The way I tackled it was to remove both rear outer wings and the fuel tank. Once I had removed all traces of the old Xmember I fed the new Xmember through the rh rear wheel arch into the area where the fuel tank sits, I then proceeded to pull it into position at the same time rotating it so the hinge brackets would pass under the floor. This operation took under a minute to perform. The only difficult part is to fit the body rubber mounts. I used a 6’ x2.5’ dia crow bar to lift the Xmember into position. Once I had the rubbers fitted the Xmember found its correct position so all the height measurements I had taken prior to strip down were ignored. As I do not weld I bolted the Xmember to the body and pop riveted the boot floor to the Xmember.

The only problem I had was removing the fuel tank, this led to the fuel pump and fuel lines having to be replaced.

All the above was achieved without anybody helping me, so I would sum up the job as being very very easy.