Spot Lights Again

Hi all,

Sorry to be a total thicko, but i need a little more explanation please, i have read numerous posts about how to wire spotlights, but i am a total idiot and still don't quite get it :huh: .

I have the "LandymanLuke diagram" the part i don't understand is:

1, The feed that comes from main beam/side lights then to the switch then to pin 85? is this the positive side of the feed or negative?

2, If it is the positive then is it correct that it comes out from the other side of the relay and breaks into the negative side of the wiring when it exits the relay via pin 86?

Many thanks in advance, Paul

1, The feed that comes from main beam/side lights then to the switch then to pin 85? is this the positive side of the feed or negative?

The positive feed.

2, If it is the positive then is it correct that it comes out from the other side of the relay and breaks into the negative side of the wiring when it exits the relay via pin 86?

Yes. However, the relay dosen't care if you swap the connections to pins 85 and 86 by accident, it can't tell. Any earthed point (chassis, bulkhead, body panel) will do for the negative side of the relay, but for best results run a seperate wire back to an existing earth point (or the battery -ve) for the spotlights themselves.

The positive feed.

Yes. However, the relay dosen't care if you swap the connections to pins 85 and 86 by accident, it can't tell. Any earthed point (chassis, bulkhead, body panel) will do for the negative side of the relay, but for best results run a seperate wire back to an existing earth point (or the battery -ve) for the spotlights themselves.

Hi All,

Well Ive done it, bought a pretty shiny Mud dash and swithches, my problem is now that I had sussed the relay thing and got the lights working (thanks 2 all) these new switches need a feed in for dash illumination and on illumination, I have modified the "Landy Luke" diagram with how I think it should be, could some confirm or laugh at me and then tell me how to do it please

Cheers Paul

post-19709-127064408302_thumb.jpg

This is a simple way of doing things

spotwiringnew.jpg

However the best way is to have an On/Off/On switch run in reverse, so the output on the switch becomes the input (off)

you then have 2 ways of switching (2 on switches) 1 of them you wire direct to the input on the relay/s so you can have spots on without highbeam or headlights, this is used for fording when in use with roof mounted lights. = headlights off roof lights on.

second on switch comes from the flasher stalk to the same input on the relay = spot work in conjuntion with highbeam.

Sorry dont have time to draw a diagram, however I knows its been documented on here before.