P38 Flat Battery problem

Diefer

Hi guys,

I’ve been a sleeper on this forum for a while, signed up in January this year but have been reading for some time. Great forum with fantastic help. :D

I have a 2000 Range Rover P38 Autobiography which is a fantastic truck, not had any real major problems with other than severe servicing costs! Other than that, can’t fault the motor other than I seem to have a very common problem.

The Rangie has ‘eaten’ 3 batteries in 2 years, this is getting rather annoying although I am getting them replaced on a free 1 years warranty with Halfords (cheap batteries) ?? I think they may twig sooner or later! ;)

I have read on this forum that the most probable cause is the alarm not ‘sleeping’ or being woken up by other radio based devices. So my question is, how can I stop the alarm from draining the battery, is it possible to disconnect the wiring from the Bell (alarm sounder) or can I just pull the fuse for the system or would this warrant the truck inoperable?

Any help on this matter would be gratefully received as I can’t leave the truck for anymore than 2 days without the battery depleting completely.

Diefer

P.S sorry for the long first post

Are you sure the battery and starter motor are in a good condition, the P38 is a bit fussy about that, if so--

Have a trawl around the net - its more than likely the little box that picks up the signal from your keyfob - some had a habit of waking up the BECM everytime it picked up a wireless network or wireless door bell, then that would kill the battery.

I understand an upgraded item is availabe but in the short term, you could try disconnecting the aerial from the box - it sits under the plastic shelf in boot on the drivers side, Note, (the one with coax is for the stereo booster) and only means that you will need to be closer to the R/R to use the klunker button.

It's a common enough issue.

Are you sure the battery and starter motor are in a good condition, the P38 is a bit fussy about that, if so--

Have a trawl around the net - its more than likely the little box that picks up the signal from your keyfob - some had a habit of waking up the BECM everytime it picked up a wireless network or wireless door bell, then that would kill the battery.

I understand an upgraded item is availabe but in the short term, you could try disconnecting the aerial from the box - it sits under the plastic shelf in boot on the drivers side, Note, (the one with coax is for the stereo booster) and only means that you will need to be closer to the R/R to use the klunker button.

It's a common enough issue.

Mant thanks for the reply Sheltie,

I have read about this recurring problem with the alarm pick up. I had left my R/R on my neighbours drive while they were away for a week and the battery went flat. I jumped it from another car and moved it 50 yards away, has been left another week and it's just fired up first time, no jump or anything. This is the only thing that winds me up about this car, everything else about it is fantastic.

I'll google this 'upgrade' you mentioned and also look into disconnecting the receiver aerial.

many thanks again

Diefer

Well you lucky if that's the only problem you've got, my one drives my crazy at times and then becomes the best thing on the road but I have looked into digging a hole and burying it at times.

From what you say pulling the aerial out might do the job for ever, worth a shot.

Good luck.

I think it's the same with any car, you either get a Peach or a Lemon, myself must be lucky enough to have found a Peach.

Yes it does have it's foibles, like the book icon showing up on the heater controls but I know what's wrong there and can live with it. The other problem I bought it with was a leaking heater Matrix that my local R/R garage wanted £850 to replace the little rubber 'O' ring on the pipe, a five pound bottle of Rad weld solved that one. Sandra the satnav ( do we all give ours names)?!?! doesn't always talk to me but that probably is'nt a bad thing.

The satnav works, so does the Playstation II, DVD player and the TV although I have upgraded to the digital TV tuner in mine.

Other than these, it's just the cost of running and servicing the thing but my god is it a bloody good toy!!

I have had a fair bit of trouble with mine but it's not new so-- for all that I complain about it, when it's good it's very very good.

The heater controls are not really that bad to work with look up www.landrovers.net for a few shortcuts.

Reckon your right about sat/nav's our's is Dorris, she also has the odd moment like saying "take the next on the left" which I duly did, a little later it said "in two miles" I swore at it and ended up in the middle of Bradford !!