Side Panel Seals

Hi All,

I'm in the process of replacing the body cappings on my '87 90 V8.

I'm trying to get together a list of parts I'll need for reassembley, but I'm stuck on what side panel lower seals to order - there seems to be several part numbers at different prices. The existing seals appear to be solid rubber and rectangular in cross section. The chassis number is EA320555.

Surely the side panels/cappings haven't changed that much over the years? So my question is are all the seals really that different from each other?

On the other hand I'm tempted to just use the old ones, they're not that bad - just a little uneven in places with they've pressed against the rust on the old body cappings. I could I suppose just add a little silicon or similiar upon re-fitting?

Any help/suggestions much appreciated!

Hiya,

Ive just changed my back end to window side from van sides, I used something called "Dum Dum" I don't want to speak out of terms here, but I'm sure Ive seen it listed as a water retardent in the water ingress manual on here, it is readily available on Ebay and I know that Paddocks stock it. I dont want any water in my truck so ive also used silicone on the in side as im carpeting the side walls also.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers Paul.

I think I'm going to go down the silicon/sealant route. Like you I don't want water getting in my vehicle either, so I'm going to get myself some sealant/adhesive and apply it liberally on all joints.

Off topic, not sure if it was Land Rover stuff applied at the factory but what ever was used under the old body cappings was bloody good stuff!!! Was a right pain in the arse getting them off! I found using the capping off the centre bulkhead as a 'chisel' to break the seal very effective. And of course it reached right along the whole capping, unlike my largest screwdriver/pry bar!! ;)

Cheers Paul.

I think I'm going to go down the silicon/sealant route. Like you I don't want water getting in my vehicle either, so I'm going to get myself some sealant/adhesive and apply it liberally on all joints.

Off topic, not sure if it was Land Rover stuff applied at the factory but what ever was used under the old body cappings was bloody good stuff!!! Was a right pain in the arse getting them off! I found using the capping off the centre bulkhead as a 'chisel' to break the seal very effective. And of course it reached right along the whole capping, unlike my largest screwdriver/pry bar!! ;)

i think that stuff is the "Dum Dum" its like a blu tack kinda stuff only it sticks like s**t to blanket

• 3 weeks later...

quote name='sharpy' date='12 April 2010 - 09:46 PM' timestamp='1271105178' post='489502']

i think that stuff is the "Dum Dum" its like a blu tack kinda stuff only it sticks like s**t to blanket

It definately wasn't dum-dum - I used that stuff to seal the gaps behind the door seals. Whatever it was, it was damn hard to get off!!

Cappings came off in bits! One whole corner was actually missing!

post-4669-127265945187_thumb.jpg

post-4669-127265946189_thumb.jpg

post-4669-127265948771_thumb.jpg

But job more or less completed now, I don't ever want to put new alpine seals in! Hopefully I now have water tight roof/sides :unsure:

All the best,

Mark