can i put veg oil in

andrew69

help! being told that i can put veg oil in my 2.25 diesel and it will work ok. all the stuff on net couple of years old and too technical.

can't see how myself seams it would be to thick. also free to a good home,i have a hi cap tub when bought this cover came with it, its home made, quite well though its normal 109 van cover but shortened to suit hi cap. comes with door but no brackets,this is free but if you got ssomething i might like say fog lamps that would be nice.01617372999.andrew salford.

help! being told that i can put veg oil in my 2.25 diesel and it will work ok. all the stuff on net couple of years old and too technical.

can't see how myself seams it would be to thick. also free to a good home,i have a hi cap tub when bought this cover came with it, its home made, quite well though its normal 109 van cover but shortened to suit hi cap. comes with door but no brackets,this is free but if you got ssomething i might like say fog lamps that would be nice.01617372999.andrew salford.

Andrew

The CAV pump will run on it for a while if its new veg oil (from Tesco...) commonly called SVO, but it will fail after a while as they are not built to take the hammer from it. I ran for 2 years on 50/50 diesel and veg oil and it was fine - also added a cetane fuel booster too but not sure how much difference that made.

If you are talking old oil, or waste oil, you are better making biodiesel from it, and make sure its very well filtered.

Cheers

Pete

The safe answer is no. The lucas pump doesn't take kindly to veg oil. Some people get away with it, some people don't. It really depends on whether you want to take the risk. If it was to fail, it would be catastrophic failure (i.e. new one vs rebuild) and would be with no warning.

However, it will be fine on a twin tank setup (start on diesel, change to veg when warm), or well made biodiesel.

For what it's worth - well filtered used veg oil will perform exactly the same as new veg oil.