Disco TD5 waking up at night

LRmalawi

I have a 2003 disco TD5. The fuel pump has started to spontaneously activate during the night.

It has happened on several occasions and only occurs at night - I am assuming this may be to do with the ambient temperature falling.

I am in Malawi with no access to engine diagnostics (why have an ecu controlled land rover in this part of Africa i here you say, and i ask myself the same questuion). I therefore have the choice of sendiing the ECU off for checking and having the car off the road for 3-4 weeks (the car is essential for getting around so will need to hire one at considerable expense) or making time to drive down to South Africa (not a short drive). At present I am just pulling the inertia switch fuse at night, but this means i can't secure the car.

Is there anything else i could look at before sending off the ecu, i wondered about the fuel temperature sender? It looks OK, can i check this with a multimeter.

Any other experiences or thoughts gratefully received.

Are you sure that is is the fuel pump. I had a sond from my car that also sounded like the pump, on closer inspection the sound was preesure in the fuel tank slowly escaping from the breather. I have the V8 petrol. Not sure if you would experience the same with a diesel

Are you sure that is is the fuel pump. I had a sond from my car that also sounded like the pump, on closer inspection the sound was preesure in the fuel tank slowly escaping from the breather. I have the V8 petrol. Not sure if you would experience the same with a diesel

Thanks for reply, definitely the fuel pump, if you turn on the ignition and then switch off you can get the pump to switch off.