Pirelli Scorpion STR -v- Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Looking at a set of new rubber for my D2, and torn between the Pirelli Scorpion STR and Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S.

Can't find anyone with experience of the Yokohama, but the reviews seem to indicate that it has a stronger side-wall (better cornering) and better wet condition performance than the Pirelli.

Has anyone experience of the Yokohama and could offer any suggestions (it's specifically the A/T-S, I'm aware that others get bad reviews)?

Thanks.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I don't have any direct experience with the Yoky A/T-S on a Disco, but I got a set for a mate who runs an '04 Suby Forester (215/65R16) and have driven that a fair bit on and off-road. He's followed me through a few places that I really didn't think he'd get through (or should get through), and I run 31" muddies on my D1...

In isolation I'd provide the following feedback on these tyres. Excellent on-road manners both wet and dry with quite reasonable wear rates (45,000kms so far and still have 60+% tread). Minimal tyre noise on the blacktop. A much better tyre on the road than the factory OE tyre (Yoky Geolander) and incomparable off-road. Good tread depth and reasonable self-clearing for an A/T tyre. Surprisingly good grip on both sealed and dry loose surfaces (like gravel). Minor gripes, not surprisingly, is that the treads can clag in sticky mud and halt progress, and that the sidewalll construction is only 2-ply, but that's pretty much as expected given the tyre design and positioning. Overall I've been very impressed with these tyres and beleive that I could recommend them for on-road and not-too-demanding off-road work. Definitely suits a spirited driver that heads off-road occasionally, or even regularly. They aren't a BFG A/T or Cooper ST, but they're much closer to that than you might imagine.

I've driven on the Pirelli STR's in 265/70R15 size on a Ford Ranger and found them to be very road-bieased and not very effective off-road. Smooth, quiet, and grippy on road, but not overly great on loose surfaces, and useless in anything muddy or claggy.

I've experienced neither in snow.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. In my opinion, the Pirelli's would provide slightly superior on-road performance, with much reduced off-road ability compared with the Yoky's. Over here the Yoky's are much cheaper as well.... :)

Or you could fit a set of Kumho KL-71s (like I run). Just an amazing tyre all-round, off-road ability up with the best mudders, and with on-road manners that better most A/Ts. I'm at nearly 60,000kms on mine and I've still got more than 40% front, 60% rear and they're still relatively quiet...

Cheers.

hey there muddy orange i dont have first hand experience of those tyres i have fitted alot to customers trucks and have heard alot of praise the the perelli scorpion get yet have heard nothing bad about the yoko's but neither have i heard any one praise them one think i do know for sure is the scorpion are made from a harder compound and are resistant to the chores of daily life so you should have longer tyre/tred life more so than yokos

sorry cant give direct answer but hope it helps

dazwell24:_)