ARGH!!

tonyalbers

Ok guys, I've been at it all day now and I'm starting to see weird creatures lurking in the background now..

I wanted to get rid of the chirping and clicking caused by a failing exhaust manifold gasket, when the upper rearmost bolt showed up to be snapped 3mm belov the surface of the cylinder head. I've tried numerous things, drilling a small hole in the remaining bolt and using one of these fancy things with an opposite thread to see if I could get it out. Unfortunately the drill snapped in the bolt, so now i have a cylinder head with a hardened steel bolt piece stuck in it. I even tried to weld a piece to the snapped bolt, but it just breaks off.

My question is:

Is it possible to drill a new hole right next to the old one without risking drilling into a coolant channel? I was thinking about 10mm to the right of the existing hole, almost directly above the lower hole.

Any ideas? This really sucks!

/tony

Ok guys, I've been at it all day now and I'm starting to see weird creatures lurking in the background now..

I wanted to get rid of the chirping and clicking caused by a failing exhaust manifold gasket, when the upper rearmost bolt showed up to be snapped 3mm belov the surface of the cylinder head. I've tried numerous things, drilling a small hole in the remaining bolt and using one of these fancy things with an opposite thread to see if I could get it out. Unfortunately the drill snapped in the bolt, so now i have a cylinder head with a hardened steel bolt piece stuck in it. I even tried to weld a piece to the snapped bolt, but it just breaks off.

My question is:

Is it possible to drill a new hole right next to the old one without risking drilling into a coolant channel? I was thinking about 10mm to the right of the existing hole, almost directly above the lower hole.

Any ideas? This really sucks!

/tony

No comment on the new hole idea, but the last time we had this question, Western ended up Dremmelling it out, but I can't find the thread.