Rear door central locking problem

chrisstevenson

Got a problem with the cental locking on my Disco rear door (tailgate), it locks ok from the key fob but when attempting to unlock from the key fob the door lock button only raises about half way, thus wont unlock properly and I have to manually lift the button to unlock the door. I removed the trim panel and took out the actuator, it seemed to be working in that it would shunt the vertical bar up or down as required, but as there was no 'spring' resistance in the actuator I presumed this was the problem so bought a new one - which does exactly the same. When pushing down the button manually it just falls under virtually zero effort, unlike all the other door lock buttons which require a firm push. So now I'm thinking that a spring must have gone somewhere in the mechanism, cant seem to find any springs to check though! I've atached a pic, the hole that I've circled in green is puzzling me, should there be a spring here? If there was then the actuator would operate in a much more positive manner. Any help would be appreciated as I'm stumped and sick of having to climb over the rear seats to unlock the tailgate!!

lock_1.JPG

Yep..... the spring's the culprit - mine behaved EXACTLY the same. When I got the door catch assembly out, the spring had snapped.

DiscoParts do the springs if you're wary of e-bay: http://www.discoparts.com/asp/products.asp?CatID=18

Getting the door catch assmbly out isn't too bad a job, but re-fitting the new spring is quite fiddly (took 2 people and about 3 sets of pliers), so be patient!!

Dunk

It might be the "torsion spring" thats failed, the type thats now sold on e-bay. Will try and document the repair with some fancy pics etc.

Changed the spring, fitting the spring to the lock assy was easy, took 2 mins, removing the lock and refitting that b'stard with all the little linkage clips was a pain in the ass, the whole thing took 1hr 15 mins and required no special tools. Best of all - it works! Yes!

Next question - the fault on the tailgate lock was exactly as described by the various spring retailers, however the fault I have on the front 2 door is somewhat more confusing - in that the central locking (as opertated by the key fob) opens the locks fine, the button pops up and stays up, but on locking the system the button isnt pulled down, it kind of kicks but stays put. Could this be anoother elusive spring located elsewhere or is it an aucuator problem? I did notice that on the tailgate lock there were 2 or 3 other springs lurking in there.

Hi Chris,

I had that on my M reg Disco - only on the drivers side. I never did find out exactly what it was. but lobbed load of WD40 down the button and into the lock from the outside which seemed to help a bit, but it hasn't happened at all since I put new batteries in the fob...

Might be coincidence - maybe someone who actually has a clue will be along in a minute ;-)

Hi Chris,

I had that on my M reg Disco - only on the drivers side. I never did find out exactly what it was. but lobbed load of WD40 down the button and into the lock from the outside which seemed to help a bit, but it hasn't happened at all since I put new batteries in the fob...

Might be coincidence - maybe someone who actually has a clue will be along in a minute ;-)

yep me too so now looking for the WD40 then going give it a dose (not OT)

• 3 weeks later...