Drive belt tensioner

James NZ

Hiya

This morning I moved the disco ('95 V8) out to load it up for work tomorrow. Took the family out in the car, came back and parked up the drive just short of the landy, and noticed a puddle that was getting bigger as I watched it. Checked bottom hose (please be a loose clamp!!) it was loose but not loose enough. Took the serpentine belt off and watched the the water pump pulley flop over. Cr*p said the man. I thought whilst I'm there might as well check everything else and here is my question - how much movement is permissible for the tensioner pulley?

Also do I need the special spanners that are mentioned in the workshop book? I'm thinking they would be very expensive down here, assuming I could buy them.

I need to get it going again for this coming weekend as we have a local holiday here on Friday (Canterbury Anniversary) and we are leaving to go camping/4wd on Thursday.

Cheers, James NZ

Serpentine V8, let me think because I've done it.

the idler shouldn't have play in it. Inside the arm is a plastic bearing that wears because the idler "bounces" when running. If it's the bearing itself then it's goosed. The cast pulley can be repaired with a new bearing and it's held in with circlips. The non-airconn has a plastic pulley and I'm not sure if they can be repaired.

Be carefull with the tensioner as it may be left hand thread (the bearing bolt). You use this bolt to lever the tensioner away when removing the belt, some are LH and some RH threads but when removing the belt you should be tightening the bearing bolt.

The only special spanner I needed was for the viscous fan, it's smaller than the spanner I've had for years and the visous hub is RIGHT hand thread.

Hi Old hand

Thanks for your reply. I fixed the landy this afternoon. I used a 12" crescent which fitted the 36mm nut. Slight tap and the viscous unit came off real easy! :) The slight play in the tensioner pulley I'll keep an eye on, it is only very slight movement. Overall the job went quite well, so well that I decide to start on some modifications I had in mind. I have another question but I'll start another thread as I'll have to upload a photo of the part in question.

Thanks again for you help. Cheers, James NZ

PS Is it normal to post an introduction to this site and if so under what forum?