alternator wiring

Can anyone explain the route the two brown wires take from the alternator - one to battery and other to starter motor? Mine seem to go across front of engine then along LH side (as you look from front) and then join into a loom.

I presume this is to avoid exhaust pipe.

I need to upgrade wires to take 65A alternator (instead of original 45A) and trying to get idea of lengths needed.

Additionally the heaviest wire that VWP does in brown is 8.5mm sq or 63 amp wire whereas I have seen others recommending 10 mm sq wire or even heavier. Should I look harder to find 10mm sq wire in brown (VWP only do red and black at that thickness but feel that getting red would be potentially confusing later on). Presumably running the original with a new 63 amp in parallel would overcome any issues but feel it would be neater (and less confusing)to run one new cable if I can.

Thanks

Malc

Be careful running the VWP stuff. its thin wall and easily worn through. It must be in conduit if you follow the same route as you mention. Some people run it doubled up. So if you want to stay brown just double it up in new flexy conduit.

I ran mine the short route and used red thicker gauge covered in heat resistant fibre glass sheath also from VWP.

BTW i ran the 63 amp stuff first (doubled) and I burnt it out cos it shorted on the back of the engine after wearing through !!!

So use conduit all the way........and i have 100amp so for you one lenght should be enough.