Seat belts

I've removed the old bench seats from the LR and would like to add one forward facing load space seat.

I am aware of the dangers of using a lap belt and as the seat will be used mainly by a child I would like to install a 3 point belt.

My LR is a canvas top so the only reliable high anchor point would be the roll bar just behind the centre bulk head. This would mean mounting the seat to face to the rear.

My questions are:

1) Can I mount a 3 point harness on a canvas top car by just using the floor for anchor points?

2) Has anyone a simpler solution?

Thanks in advance

Matt

If the seat frame is strong enough and fixed securely to the floor, then you could use the rear frame of it as an achor point in much the same way as the rear bulkhead mounting on a series vehicle.

Reel on floor, opposie end on rear of seat, then down in the usual way - across lap and down from shoulder to the lock mechanism, which is fixed to the floor on the opposite side?

Just an idea and how I think I would do it.

Les. :)

If the seat frame is strong enough and fixed securely to the floor, then you could use the rear frame of it as an achor point in much the same way as the rear bulkhead mounting on a series vehicle.

Reel on floor, opposie end on rear of seat, then down in the usual way - across lap and down from shoulder to the lock mechanism, which is fixed to the floor on the opposite side?

Just an idea and how I think I would do it.

Thanks Les. Using the chair would certainly make life easier.

Would your knowledge be able to pint me in the right direction for a suitable belt?

Cheers

Matt

I would be inclined to agree with Les, but make sure you use some big spreader plates when mounting the seat to the tub.

I would have thought any after market 3-point belt would be fine. I think exmoor trim sell britax ones, but I am sure there are cheaper places to get them.

Cheers

Mark

The likes of Bearmach sell a complete inertia reel seat belt assembly for £30.

Like Mark says - spreader plate either side of the floor. The Type of seat belt that Bearmach sells is quite short, so it would have to be attached to the floor as well. Say - 100mm x 4mm square plate either side of the floor, held in place by an M6 or bigger on each corner. You get a selection of brackets and bolts for the two anchor points in the box.