Auto Kickdown Problem

lawrence

I change the gearbox in my discovery 1 only a few months ago, after it wouldn't change up. Everything has been fine until this morning. Its been a bit cold out my way minus 3 for the last few days and the car hasnt moved since saterday night. Got in this morning to give it a run and again the car wouldn't change up gear, only this time it felt like the auto kickdown was stuck open as there was no resistance in the peddle. The car did change at every 4000 revs and would change down again very quickly if the revs dropped. This got me thinking, is it possible that the auto kickdown is somehow frozen open or stuck, (not sure how it works to be honest). Or is the gearbox shot so I will need a new one again

It is possible for any cable to freeze, however it would have needed to be left with the throttle wide open over night to give the symptoms you describe.

As you have had the box out, I would go and look for damage to the kickdown cable, kinks, fraying, that sort of thing, and make sure it is secured at the box end as it should be (I assume there is something holding it in place!). Disconnect it at the throttle end and try and pull it in and out by hand, it should be nice and smooth. Replacing the cable is not a walk in the park, but better than changing out the whole box.....

I'd not be inclined to write the box off just yet, it's more common when the governer sticks they just rev and rev and rev without changing at all.

Also..... check the fluid level, this can also give the symptoms you describe, as it fails to generate enough pressure to open valves etc. Start it from cold, cycle it through all the gears, a few seconds in each, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, D, N and then go and check the level.

Had a chace to look at it the other day. The kickdown cable under the bonet was very slack, like it wasn't sprining back into place properly. I pushed the wire back down the sleaving and you could hear a click. i got in the vehicle and took it for a little drive and all was fine. The problem then became the wire going slack again after only 1 mile of driving. Does anyone know of a way to stop this.

Well I got it fixed at last, all it took in the end was a good amount of WD40 at the piviot between the throtle cable and the kickdown cable under the bonet. It was so still it wouldn't return to properly so was keeping the kickdown cable open. took it for a test yesterday and everything is back to normal.