Water leaks, help required please

davek0974

best solution to that problem that i have heard about is to dam the gutter up at one end with some blue tack or equivalent sticky stuff, and then warm some waxoil up so it's nice and thin, pour it into the gutter and let it find it's own way in from there. should then seal the leak up.

that area usually leaks becuase of the 3 way panel join that they built into the vehicle. the roof, outer & inner skins all meet there, and the mastic goes hard, cracks then leaks.

Thanks, liking the idea of the waxoyl, interesting.

I stripped all the trim off and found a gap hidden under the rear door arch trim, the whole lot, including gutters was dried out, coated with isoflex primer then a good coat of isoflex was put on top, the plastic trim was replaced when dry and that was then sealed with sikaflex all along!

it really did appear to be a thorough job which is why i'm so baffled.

why did they not make a hole in the gutter to let the water out? would it help if there was hole in the outer corner of the gutter, the water just builds up and sits there. Is the gutter a double skin as if it is it would open a path between skins making things worse?

dave

Just a thought...

Is the roof around the alpines a double or single skin???

My thinking is that maybe that although the roof inside is dry, the water is getting in through the alpine seal and seeping down between the roof skins?

But i dont want to rip the window out to find its not that because its only single skin.

Found another source of water ingress...

Rear air vents, below O/S rear window, window seal leaks, water drips onto vent moulding and vent channels the water straight into the rear floor corner!

Easy to fix, either do rear window seals or (in my case) remove vent, make up a little deflector from thin pvc (bag or pallet wrap etc) fold it round the vent, push vent into hole then trim off excess pvc around inside - drips are now guided away from vent moulding. Do the windows in the summer.

The poxy roof joint is STILL leaking, i cant, for the life of me, see how water is getting in there now. I even had a poke around with a bore-scope today, couldnt see a thing. So much for getting her back together this weekend.

Stripped the gutter trim off, blocked the gutter at c-post and filled with water, 45 minutes later, gutter is still full and inside is dry.

Diagnosis is that, despite two layers of mastic, the water is getting in UNDER the gutter at the gutter/side wall joint area.

The stupid gutter trim acts as a funnel and capilliary action sucks the water from the gutter and directs it straight into this area.

I'm leaving the trim off for a while while a plan is formulated.

Sorry not to get right back to you. All I did with mine was a cut about 5mm thick groove on the rear lip with a grinder so as to let the water run out from the back then smere some sealer round the offending area. Bit Heath Robinson/aggricultural but like I say its not best of condition and will struggle to get through next mot.

Right, I've given it all I've got ! Four hours messing about at 1c and I can't feel my hands or feet, I have reinstalled the headlining as the sunroofs were nice and sealed now, the n/s rear quarter is all trimmed back up and dickie seat replaced.

I masked up and ran another wide bead of sealant along under the gutter, the top trim lip which locates over the gutter edge was filled with silicone and the trim replaced, the joint clips were then filled with sikaflex and replaced. As far as I can see, there is no way that any water can now get from the gutter channel to the underside. If it leaks from the gutter now, it will probably leak forever.

At the rear corner where the straight run of gutter joins the corner run, there is a little taped joint, I'm guessing that this is the "zinc tape" as mentioned in the Landrover technical bulletin for leaks? It was ok at the top and face but underneath there was a little gap where tape had lifted, this looked like another possible leak so that was well covered too.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest of trim back in and that'll be the end of the water at the back at least:)