Transfer box jumping out on 90

Hi,

I've got a problem with the transfer box on a 1986 90.

It generally works fine in high (although it has jumped out once or twice when going through ruts offroad)

In low it generally works as long as there is power on. Downhill/accelerator up it jumps out, normally within 30 seconds of entering low.

I removed the gator, after which it appeared to work in low box, but started jumping out of high - i didn't test for that long however as it's getting dark. Refitting the gator returned it to jumping from low and working in high.

The transfer knob seems pretty easy to move - maybe even loose? (in comparison to our 110 anyway), but needs to be pushed really hard into a corner to get it to engage, almost as if it would like to move a bit further to make it engage properly - could a lever somewhere have got bent or shortened (adjustable?).

Diff lock works fine.

It is a vehicle in which the transfer box probably hasn't been used much. Does it just need using to tighten it all up?

Or is it a strip and rebuild job? Or a fitting a recon/second hand unit better?

If I replace it are the lt230t and lt230r interchangeable? No one seems to list which one it is whenever I see gearboxes for sales.

I'm going to replace the oil in it tomorrow to see if that helps

Graham

Hi,

I've got a problem with the transfer box on a 1986 90.

It generally works fine in high (although it has jumped out once or twice when going through ruts offroad)

In low it generally works as long as there is power on. Downhill/accelerator up it jumps out, normally within 30 seconds of entering low.

I removed the gator, after which it appeared to work in low box, but started jumping out of high - i didn't test for that long however as it's getting dark. Refitting the gator returned it to jumping from low and working in high.

The transfer knob seems pretty easy to move - maybe even loose? (in comparison to our 110 anyway), but needs to be pushed really hard into a corner to get it to engage, almost as if it would like to move a bit further to make it engage properly - could a lever somewhere have got bent or shortened (adjustable?).

Diff lock works fine.

It is a vehicle in which the transfer box probably hasn't been used much. Does it just need using to tighten it all up?

Or is it a strip and rebuild job? Or a fitting a recon/second hand unit better?

If I replace it are the lt230t and lt230r interchangeable? No one seems to list which one it is whenever I see gearboxes for sales.

I'm going to replace the oil in it tomorrow to see if that helps

Graham

I had this on mine, and I ended up adjusting the linkage - explained in the blames manual, and now it seems ok (done about 2000 miles since)

Thanks, I couldn't find how to adjust it inthe manual, so i took a fiddle myself and seem to have got it closer to being right.

Still seems a little tempramental, so i might still consider a new box. Going to take it out on a longer run in a minute to see if its much better.

Are the lt230r and lt230t interchangable?

I have an LT77 sat in my garage taking up space at the moment. I changed it because the hi/low selector seemed to be getting looser and looser, and I thought that it was buggered. Once I had replaced it with a new one, I had a little look at the old one, and it turned out that a grub screw was loose (bugger). Tightened it up, and the box is back to perfect. I wanted to keep it as a spare, but the boss (she who must be obeyed) has informed me that it is going to be sold. If you need another one, it will be a lot cheaper than looking for a rebuilt one. If you want, I can check to see exactly what markings it has on it.

I have an LT77 sat in my garage taking up space at the moment. I changed it because the hi/low selector seemed to be getting looser and looser, and I thought that it was buggered. Once I had replaced it with a new one, I had a little look at the old one, and it turned out that a grub screw was loose (bugger). Tightened it up, and the box is back to perfect. I wanted to keep it as a spare, but the boss (she who must be obeyed) has informed me that it is going to be sold. If you need another one, it will be a lot cheaper than looking for a rebuilt one. If you want, I can check to see exactly what markings it has on it.

Do you mean a LT230? Which grub screw was loose? Might be the same on mine?

Whereabouts are you? and how much are you looking for? I've just bid on one fairly local to me, but if I don't manage to get that one, i'll be interested.

Do you mean a LT230? Which grub screw was loose? Might be the same on mine?

Whereabouts are you? and how much are you looking for? I've just bid on one fairly local to me, but if I don't manage to get that one, i'll be interested.

Sorry - Of course I mean an LT230 - long week at work. There is a finger inside which selects diff lock. That was loose on the shaft. Sorry to mislead, 70 hour weeks do that to me sometimes... I'm in Stroud, in Gloucestershire, but regularly drive all over the South Wesy/Midlands. Not sure how much these things go for - it's a tidy one, and I feel like a bit of a prick for not spotting what the problem was when it was on the vehicle - didn't need to change it at all. A 5 minute repair would have sorted it right out.

No problem!

Just got one on ebay for £35. Going to pick it up tomorrow and install it tuesday.

If that one turns out to be a dud after I install it I'll be interested!

Thanks,

Graham