rear xmember to tub bolts

Hello chaps.

During the renovations of my 1986 Ninety I've removed the rear tub to crossmember bolts remove the crossmember paint to find there is loads of ali oxidisation underneath

There is nothing between the crossmember brackets and the tub so I'm guessing its either this or the bolts themselves causing the oxidisation.

As the crossmember was replaced about 5 years ago I don't know if there should be something between the crossmember brackets and the tub or if its the bolts/washers/nuts themselves causing the problem.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to cure this.

Thanks guys

IanB

Originally there would have been double plates with welded nuts on the inside for the three central pairs and nuts and bolts for the outer 4. There is usually also shims between the tub and crossmember brackets. Electrolytic corrosion occurs where there is contact between steel and alloy, so either the bolts themselves and the tub, or the crossmember tabs and the tub.

As a replacement crossmember is usually bolted to the tub in order to align it before welding - the shims are quite often no longer necessary/not fitted. The plates with the welded nuts on are also usually missing because they break or are badly corroded and are replaced with new nuts, bolts and washers.

Les.

Ah, that explains quite a bit Les, thanks.

It looks like the new crossmember tabs weren't welded at the factory, so I'm guessing they put them onto the body then welded them on to ensure correct alignment. So it would make sense shims weren't used.

I don't know if its possible but I might try to squeeze a bit of innertube between the body and the tabs, and make up some rubber washers for the backs too.

Cheers Les, you've helped a lot.

Ian

Ah, that explains quite a bit Les, thanks.

It looks like the new crossmember tabs weren't welded at the factory, so I'm guessing they put them onto the body then welded them on to ensure correct alignment. So it would make sense shims weren't used.

I don't know if its possible but I might try to squeeze a bit of innertube between the body and the tabs, and make up some rubber washers for the backs too.

Cheers Les, you've helped a lot.

Ian

Hi - I used a margarine tub - http://projectd90.blogspot.com/2011/03/rear-cross-member-1001-uses-for.html - hope this helps:)