Another use for Copper tubing

02GF74

A while back I was getting ep90 dripping onto the exhaust manifold from the trasnfer box. I remember taking the gubbins to do both the front and reat output shaft seals and also remember when I came to fit one of the seals paddocks sent me the wrong one so I thought I just fitted it back together.

Anyway, as I was fitting of the overdrive, I thought I'd go and revisit the rear seal. The oil was mostly dripping from the front one so I must have replaced that one as it had stopped. Imagine my surprise when I removed the tranmission drum and output shaft drive flange to find the inside spotless and druy as well as a new seal in there??!?!?!

So the moral of the story is to keep a log of what you replace.

Anyway, the effort did not go to waste since I needed to replace the dust cover for the expander unit. The plan was to do the minimal amount of disassemlby so undoing the push rod clevis pin was not an option due to the awkwardness of the job and I couldn't undo the pivot bolt.

So I thought I'll try to push the cover over the push rod. Not easy as the clevis pin end is much bigger than the hole in the cover. So after mush pushing, liberal use of grease and even trying to expand the hole with circlip pliers, no joy.

I took a piece of copper tube and flattened it so it would pass over the clevis pin end. Then used this to push the cover on - success!! The flattenend end applies even pressure to the rubber around the hole in the cover and prevents the rubber from moving out of the way.

The cover can then be pushed through the back plate, the clips refitted, expander reassembled and job done! :D

was getting ep90 dripping onto the exhaust manifold from the trasnfer box

You have a major mechanical problem with your engine 02 :P

[smug] Of course, you could have dunked the dust cover in hot water for a few minutes and it would have gone on, but I'll not mention that now or you might get a bit tetchy! [/smug]

You won't wriggle out of the copper tube thing that easily anyway m8! :D

Les. :)

You have a major mechanical problem with your engine 02 :P

[smug] Of course, you could have dunked the dust cover in hot water for a few minutes and it would have gone on, but I'll not mention that now or you might get a bit tetchy! [/smug]

Don't think so; the exhaust is part of the y pipe from the drivers bank of cylinders.

Hot water, hmmmm, good tip.