OT Carbon build up in inlet manifold

Gromit

I'm slowly doing the head gasket on the van. This heat isn't helping!

Or the fact that I've never done a head gasket before! :huh:

Anyway, after lifting the air filter box, I discovered each pipe in the inlet has about 3mm thick carbon/oil goo coating the around the inside of the pipe.

There is some EGR stuff going on from the exhaust manifold, through the airbox and back into the inlet.

Is it normal to have this amount of soot?

Doesn't look right to me.

Van has about 90k miles on it, and it's a relault diesel lump

I'm slowly doing the head gasket on the van. This heat isn't helping!

Or the fact that I've never done a head gasket before! :huh:

Anyway, after lifting the air filter box, I discovered each pipe in the inlet has about 3mm thick carbon/oil goo coating the around the inside of the pipe.

There is some EGR stuff going on from the exhaust manifold, through the airbox and back into the inlet.

Is it normal to have this amount of soot?

Doesn't look right to me.

Van has about 90k miles on it, and it's a relault diesel lump

Quite normal with EGR, also the back of the intake valves will be gooed up too. deactivate the EGR system ASAP!

Quite normal with EGR, also the back of the intake valves will be gooed up too. deactivate the EGR system ASAP!

that's a bit mad.

Well I'll be selling it once the head is done, so I'm not too worried about deactivating the EGR.

Cheers,

Exhaust Gas recycling will over many miles build up soot/goo. This is an indicator of the general condition of the engine. You shouldn't have that coming out of the engine in the first place in order for it to then get into the inlet manifold. The black goo (thick, black, sticky mess), is oil/soot mixture. It can be cleaned out with petrol or similar. This stuff will seriously affect the emissions/fuel consumption of the engine. Transits that don't get looked after also get this problem. Very messy job cleaning it all out.

Les. :)