discovery 200tdi wurring noise.

muddy4x4xfar

hi all. over the past few days iv been noticing a wuuuring noise on my discovery 200. the noise only happens when i accelerate hard on 2nd gear and from there in 3rd and 4th. but whilst im in these gears and still moving and i take my foot off the accelerator the noise goes away straight away with me still moving. i was thinking wining transfer box or maybe diff. but with me takin my foot off the gas and the noise going i dont know now, . anybody had the same kinda experiences . and what did they find it was. please please help i hate it when mi land rovers poorly. :(

cheers all

chris

I've just changed the gearbox on my 200tdi due to a whirring in third gear, tbh it was getting a bit loud (couldn't hear the stereo) and gear changing was a bit crunchy. Changed to a R380, much nicer shifting etc.

Sounds like you may have the same problem.

I've just changed the gearbox on my 200tdi due to a whirring in third gear, tbh it was getting a bit loud (couldn't hear the stereo) and gear changing was a bit crunchy. Changed to a R380, much nicer shifting etc.

Sounds like you may have the same problem.

hi cheers for you help , much apprieciated. how easy is it to change to an r380 gearbox, and wots needed? bare in mind im on my own whilst doing this. also am i right in sayin its an r380 from a 300 tdi discovery?

thanks again

chris

It was a straight swap for me. Make sure you get a gearbox from a diesel disco though, as I believe the V8 ones have a different length input shaft. The later ones are supposed to be better than the earlier ones as well.

Have a look at Ashcrofts website for some more detailed info on the various gearboxes.

Its not that difficult on your own if you use a hoist type affair to lower/raise the gearbox/xfer box through the opening for the gear lever. Using a jack to lower/raise the gearbox would make the job a lot more awkward for one.

You'll probably want to change the clutch and clutch fork while your there, maybe your gearbox mount as well.