series 3 exhausts

virusjohn

hi guys, new to this forum so sorry if this isnt in the right place. My name is john and im primarily a motorcycle mechanic but I do love millitaria and Ive been tasked with fixing an ex MOD landy.

Im working on a series 3 109 2.25L petrol for a friend recently and im having difficulty getting it to run right, one minute she will rev cleanly throughout the rev range, next it needs full throttle to idle and cant be driven anywhere. Its got a hole in the exhaust pretty a little bit further back than the under seat petrol tanks which i intend on replacing when i find a replacement.

Does the civvy version have the same exhaust?

am I needing just a mid pipe etc? I wont get to see it before sunday and thats when I need to be putting a new exhaust on if I can.

If anyone can help me ID what parts I need or give hints to what It might be I'd be very grateful, So far Ive only cleaned and gapped the plugs, cleaned the dizzy points (couldnt set gap on them because I didnt have a cranking handle to get the dizzy in the right place) and Ive re attached the accelerator pump linkage on the zenith downdraft carb.

He also has another 2.25 thats running perfectly so I shall swap the carbs on them and see if that makes the ill one work better, if It is i'll be taking the carb home to give it a good overhaul.

Cheers

John

There are several exhausts for the 2.25 SIII 109. They all come in three sections.

The down pipe has two versions, and only the earliest run straight below the chassis, the vast majority of vehicles having the later type which drops under the bell housing cross member and then up again over the transmission mounting to run through the hole in the cross member behind the transmission.

There are three intermediate pipes. The first is to connect to the low slung early down pipe. The second connects to the higher, twistier late down pipe. The third is much like the second but also has an additional muffler box towards its rear end (the elliptical section muffler lies parallel to the chassis side). This third type was rarely fitted (I was told by a franchised dealer's parts department that it was an Australian spec part and was not fitted to UK vehicles, and that my 109 must have been part of a cancelled Australian export order).

There are two basic versions of the tail pipe - one for left exit and one for right. The MoD generally used the right exit type as they had no rear fuel tanks. This means that the exhaust is not directed at pedestrians on the pavement. Models with rear fuel tanks have to use the left exit pipe.