TD4 Start Up.

Barrie1943

To anyone who has any idea's about my problem,I would be grateful for their input.I have a Freelander TD4 04 model with facelift. I have just replaced fuel pump and filter under rear seat because the pump was very noisey and did not shut off at all before starting the engine.I also had some black smoke on start up. This disappeared after adding some cleaner to the fuel.Now on start up I get some whiteish smoke and the engine almost seems to be only firing on 3 cylinders for between 5 and 10 seconds, everything then clears and I have to say the Freelander really goes well.This is my second Freelander and I did not experience anything like this with the other one. It shows no fault codes and at the moment is just a severe irritation as everyone keeps saying,"That doesn't sound quite right does it."

The in-tank lift pump is supposed to run continuously, it generates very little pressure and realy only keeps a gentle flow moving up to the secondary pump and filter up on the l/h inner front wing. White smoke is unburnt diesel going into the exhaust, when this is happening, it's usually accompanied by a severe knocking sound from the engine until it settles. You may have one or more injectors that are not atomising properly, they may be partially blocked or dirty. This can happen during filter changes or work on the fuel system if you are not very careful to keep contaminants out of the lines.

Ray.

• 5 weeks later...

hello, im getting this problem too, (2005 TD4 Freelander sport with powerchip fitted)

Starts fine, but runs lumpy for a few seconds with a good gush of greyish smoke from exhaust, dosent matter wether its cold or hot starting, it allways does the same, been told its the pressure sensor & sensor cable,

Is this correct or should there be something else im looking for.

Cheers.