No Indicators just Hazards

Help please if possible, the other week my hazard switch exploded into lots of small pieces when pressed, so replaced switch unit and everything worked fine Hazards yes, Indicators RH & LH - Yes.

Today driving home people flashing me when turning and much beeping of horns, after some initial confusion as to why as I clearly did not know these people, I noticed when turning the next corner that the Trailer hitch light was flashing when indicator stalk flicked down to turn left.

So pulled over and ran through Left and Right operation getting out to check and all 6 lights coming on regardless of switch direction. And also only trailer hitch light illuminating in time with lights flashing, same also when hazard switch pressed.

Stripped out all switches and checked coupler connection and fuses and relays, nothing obvious visible or evident, I am now thinking poss short on trailer socket.

All opinions welcomed

Trailer plug and socket on vehicle would be the first points to investigate I would say. Use one of those probes with a light in the clear handle and steel spike on the end and cable with a crock clip coming out the handle. dismantle the cover on the trailer plug, plug the pin bit in your vehicle socket, get someone to operate the indicator switch in the Landy and probe the wires on the back, this will tell you if you have any issues with the trailer side of the electrics at that point. Also test the pin sockets the same way on the socket on the Landy to see if there's anything awry there. If all that checks out ok then with the probe and the trailer light lenses removed, do the same test on the indicator bulb connections. The most common failure is earthing so make sure the earthing wires are making good contact. It's quite common for the hazard warning switch to melt/explode on Defenders, I know many that have had this problem which has in the main been traced back to one of the yellow relays behind the fuse box, I think the one nearest the right as you're sitting in the drivers seat is the one that's to do with all the lighting and the other is to do with the starting of the engine. Someone that may know more will no doubt be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Some work today on Light problem, seems to be the new switch is cauing the problem, as after spending many hours not finding anything wrong, found old switch in bottom of toolbox, removed broken rocker assy just leaving contacts in remains of switch body, plugged it in and hazards started flashing, pushed contact over to turn off hazards, when done tried indicators and success all worked as they should. Disconnected old switch swapped with new, problem came back. New switch was from Allmakes I think. now going to try and source OEM part and fit that into dash.

Fingers and everything else crossed