TD5 D90 rear brakes

After 30,000 miles it's time to replace the rear pads on my TD5 90CSW. My local motor-factors have provided me with a set of pads which have holes in the metal backings for the retaining-pins to pass through, and coil springs to fit over the split-pins and between the pads (presumably to prevent rattle).

The pads I'm removing have the split-pins passing behind the pads and (crumbly-rusty) folded-metal springy-things fitted between the pins and the pads.

Is this a sane swap? The new arrangement (with coil-springs that fit over the splitpins) is kinda the same as I've got on the front.

Also - I really seem to eat front brake-pads and discs: on average I get 15,000 miles from the pads and 30,000 miles from the discs (which are Land-Rover parts from my local dealer) before they warp to the point of being dangerous. Does anyone have suggestions for upgrades??

--Tanuki.

The Seven Deadly Sins: Collect the full set!