Not sure what to buy.......

landybuyer

I had a Landrover Discovery several years ago a 300Tdi and I loved it. Foolishly I sold it in favour of a Ford Mondeo would you believe as I needed a newer reliable vehicle that wouldn't let me now. A few years on with a small boat to tow around on beaches etc I'd like another disco. My budget is up to 10K so I could now buy a newer Td5 engine. I don't like the series 3 so am looking at series 2. Also I don't want V8 or anything like that. Part of me however wants another 300Tdi as I know the engine, but I do need something reliable. I should add that I don't intend to do any 'heavy repairs' these would be entrusted to a garage but I like doing my own servicing. Also I'd like something as economical as possible. I can't work out whether a Td5 or 300Tdi is the more economical engine. Am I correct in assuming that the later series 2's are the same mechanically as the 300Tdi just with a different engine? Any advice on what to buy and what to look at when I view a vehicle would be gratly appreciated. Many thanks.

The D2 is similar but not the same. Suspension arrangement is different but the gearbox is an R380 and the transfer box is an LT230 - though both are subtle differences to the Tdi versions. Diffs are the same though wheel bearing / braking arrangements are different. The body electrics on the D2 are much more complicated (though nothing like a D3) but generally don't cause too many problems.

Not much to choose between them for economy, to the extent it probably depends who you ask.

I'd try and get a last of the line low mileage Td5 for £10k.

I had a Landrover Discovery several years ago a 300Tdi and I loved it. Foolishly I sold it in favour of a Ford Mondeo would you believe as I needed a newer reliable vehicle that wouldn't let me now. A few years on with a small boat to tow around on beaches etc I'd like another disco. My budget is up to 10K so I could now buy a newer Td5 engine. I don't like the series 3 so am looking at series 2. Also I don't want V8 or anything like that. Part of me however wants another 300Tdi as I know the engine, but I do need something reliable. I should add that I don't intend to do any 'heavy repairs' these would be entrusted to a garage but I like doing my own servicing. Also I'd like something as economical as possible. I can't work out whether a Td5 or 300Tdi is the more economical engine. Am I correct in assuming that the later series 2's are the same mechanically as the 300Tdi just with a different engine? Any advice on what to buy and what to look at when I view a vehicle would be gratly appreciated. Many thanks.

Where are you based? I have a 2002 Facelifted Td5 XS for sale.