Roof Rack Mounting Brackets

stretch121

Need a little help please fellas and im sure some of you here must know.

I need a roof rack for my D2 but looking at the prices i really can not afford to buy one and even second hand they aint cheap so i was thinking of making my own, well getting my mate to weld it up for me.

I was planning on using box section, small in size but strong enough to take a good bit of weight without beeing too heavy, not sure on weather to have a split level or not.

Only problem im having so far is finding some suitable mounts/clamps/feet what ever you want to call them that will secure it to the gutter, i was looking at using 8 in total to give good strength and stability and spaced evenly along the whole length of the roof...(i need a full length rack)

So does any one know where i can get hold of some or will these need to be fabricated too??

Has any one made their own rack before and do you have any tips or advice??

Cheers in advance fellas.

Regards,

Gareth.

When I had a Disco I always meant to make a rack for it, think I found something suitable in the end but it wasn't cheap. The price of the feet and steel plus wire and gas made it not far different from buying one from a chap on eBay. As an alternative I have a Brownchurch fitted to my Series 3, on that the legs have feet that rest in the gutter. The gutter is drilled and the two are bolted together with M6 bolts. For what it's worth I think this is a far better solution than the usual clamp arrangement.

Yeha after looking a little further and prob needing a jig of sorts it would prob end up too much cost and hassle, i think i know the guy you mean of the bay, spoke to him today ref the brackets, he makes these him self but alas does not sell them as an item, he does two nice ones a full length flat for £250 and a split level for about £325 so all in all not too bad i suppose when put next to the price of genuine LR part or other top names.