Brake upgrade??

davek0974

Hi all, while rebuilding my front hubs I want to do an upgrade from single to vented discs, I got the vented disc kit from paddocks and also the calipers RTC6776/7 for vented discs but the bolt holes on the calipers are too small for the mounting bolts.

Is the wrong caliper set?

Is it ok to drill the holes out?

Anyone else done this?

It's a D1 1994 300tdi

Dave

Yes, too big but asthe old and new bolts both fit the axle, that's to be expected.

I have now found that the holes in the calipers are imperial and the bolts are metric and it's common to just open them out with a 12mm drill, it's only about .5 mm difference but enough to stop the bolts fitting.

Last snag is that I can't get the feed pipe to flexi pipe joint undone, the one on the inner wing, any secrets or tips?

The union on the bracket. Quite common for those to corrode badly there. When i went to change my flexis i realised i did have everything i needed but had attempted to undo the union before leaving it for another day. Next day my foot went to the floor when braking as it had burst due to bad corrosion just about the union.

For this reason if it too difficult to undo even with mole-grips I would cut it and fit a new bit of pipe to be safe

Tried a normal open ended spanner on it? (rather than a brake spanner) i ask as they are a better fit and will sometimes grip where a brake spanner would spin, mole grips is another but if your not careful you will end up wrecking the union

Right I've got the first fitting undone, hammer on one side and hit the other side with another hammer seems to have helped.

Now the next problem pops up and kicks me in the 'nads - the new flexi does not match the thread on the feed pipe!!!

The part is ANR1765 which appears correct so what is wrong????

Should be m10x1, got a new brake union you can try in the flexi hose to rule out a duff hose or slightly iffy thread? sometimes the threads on pattern hoses arent 100% so if you thread in (by hand) a new union a few times then try it again you may find it fits, obviously if the union isnt going into the hose squarely it will start to cross thread and stop so check its not that too

Yes the flexi fits the new metric fittings, I will try again tomorrow but we did try several times tonight, it screwed back into the old pipe easy. The metric fittings did not want to screw into the old pipe which is what made me think the fittings were different. Its either M10x1 or 3/8x24, close but not the same.

All finished and working, flexi problem turned out to be dodgy thread, cleaned it up and it went back nicely.

Need to re-bleed and check for leaks tomorrow but other than that it's all back together at last.

Last stumbling block was paddocks idea to put the wrong brake pad fitting kit in the order, took two ours but I managed to find some locally.