steering colum

bushwhacker

Hi to all, HELP

The steering colum ujs on my early Disco are very badly worn. I am in the process of removing the shaft (with great difficulty I add) How do you remove it ? My shaft has an upper uj and a lower uj with a rubber cushion held by 4 small bolts. Has anyone any diagrams of this set up or part nos.

Any help would be of great help.

Clean up the shaft spines with a wire brush and give them a squirt of some plus gas or wd40, remove the bolts holding the lower uj to the steering box and to the shaft and gently tap the lower uj off the steering box being careful not to damage the spines on the steering box, if you got the spines clean and well lubricated the lower uj should slide up the shaft and off the box you can then undo the bolt holding the upper uj to the steering column and wiggle it off/gentle tap it off, this is how i did one recently anyway, some people may disagree but having cleaned up all of the spines i lubricated them and those on the new part with copper grease to make it easier for the future, given the bolts sit in a recess having grease in the joint wont make it any more likely to come undone by accident

Boro thanks for the tips. Ive now got the whole lot of from the st/wheel splines to the st/box. Every thing now cleaned and no spline damage thanks again.

Fozsug thanks for the drawing thats exactly what I have.

And seeing the cost of a new one the old one may go back on. :blink:

Fozsug you had me worried there with the first price. The others are more like the thing.

Boro thanks also.

My local LR place (Belfast Land Rover Center) are good with prices so I will give the a call tomorrow. If I go armed with prices and they are as near as dam it I always like to put some business by them. A good bunch of guys they are.

And no I am not on commision. :huh:

Does anyone know if just the top uj and cushion bits can be bought. I have the bottom one £20 :rolleyes: and the shaft is fine.

Now the local LR place I spoke so highly of say the complete parts are £65 + vat they will of course take my bought bit back, which is all fine and well but I can get the same out of England for £40 inc vat and p+p :unsure:.

Someone once said "money's not every thing but it sure takes the sting out of being poor". :lol:

Just wanted to check as the later ones used a different shaft with aluminium uj's, i now of course cant find the bits, saw them the other day as well as i was considering it for mine, tbh the bearmach shaft i linked you to above which comes with both uj's anyway is fine and good value