D1 - Strange Steering Issue

Paddy_SP

My Disco has recently started doing some strange things with the steering. If it's cold and I turn the steering wheel too quickly, it stalls the engine. If I keep the revs up a bit, the steering turns OK, but I can feel it holding back. If I go through a deep puddle at any speed - say 20 mph, I can feel it doing the same thing.

A new (genuine) steering pump was fitted about a year ago, and the fluid level is spot-on. The belt tension feels fine.

As I can't think what's causing this, I'd be most grateful for any guidance! :)

Stalling a diesel takes some effort.

Why did you change the pump.

If the pump failed internally it may have put some contamination into the steering box which is now causing your problems.

Unfortunately only changing one of the items often results in failure of both soon after.

Stalling a diesel takes some effort.

Why did you change the pump.

If the pump failed internally it may have put some contamination into the steering box which is now causing your problems.

Unfortunately only changing one of the items often results in failure of both soon after.

I only changed the pump because it was leaking all over the drive. As far as I know, there was no debris floating around in the system, but without stripping it all apart for inspection I can't, of course, be sure.

I only changed the pump because it was leaking all over the drive. As far as I know, there was no debris floating around in the system, but without stripping it all apart for inspection I can't, of course, be sure.

O.K I would first check the pump, slacken the belt and check for any play or difficulty in turning the pulley.

Well - I've finally got to the bottom of this - it turned out to be a failed water pump!

I'd bought a new ZF PAS pump in preparation for a replacement job, and as I removed the serpentine belt, I spotted that the water pump bearing was completely rooted. This was causing the belt to run slack, and thus giving the symptoms I described. Luckily, the excellent crew at Exeter 4x4 were both willing and able to help, and not much more than an hour later their driver turned up on my doorstep with a new water pump, 'P' gasket, etc. Bearing in mind that I live on the edge of Exmoor, that is little short of outstanding service! :)