removing torque convertor

munkymush

im trying to remove my auto box off my 300tdi disco 1.. ive removed 4 bolts from the engine side of flex plate but the torque convertor wont budge? auto box has moved back 15 to 19 mm or so just enough to see the back side of the flex plate ,,whats the trick to shifting it? i didnt want to tap it cos of doing harm? thanks glenn

ive just got the box and torque convertor out, it seems was the engine dropping dowm at the front end and lifting the back up and trapping the torque convertor ..what does everyone who removes a gearbox do to help with removal and refitting ? mine was soo close to the bulkhead at the top it was right pig.. and pulling down on the back of the engine with ratchet straps help to get a bit of clearance but not a lot ... everything ive had in the past if you drop the box mountings the engine tips back enough to clear the bell housing ok .. not this bar steward though ...

Once the transmission mounts have been removed, the engine/gearbox assembly tilts down at the back. If you then remove the gearbox, the engine will settle back up and if you leave it like that you'll find it very difficult to put the gearbox back on. The trick is to jack under the crank pulley to re-tilt the engine prior to fitting the gearbox or wedge a length of wood under the pulley before you remove the gearbox in order to maintain the correct angle for when you replace the gearbox.

Les.

hi les, this one didnt come down at all ......i dropped the tranny down ,but it hardly moved, the top of the bell housing was still rubbing the top of the g/box tunnel ..as soon as the box moved back 20mm the engine droped down at the front trapping the torque convertor, i coudnt see why i could get no clearance till i saw how far back the engine mounts are...ive never had one drop down at the front before in any motors or vans ive done... once i got a jacking beam under it at the front it gave me just enough room to get it out and back in... only trouble it the torque convertor pulled off its splines.. i coudnt get a t/c seal today and had to get it back in as i was using the ramp at work.. (unnoficialy) i examined the seal with good light and really strong magnifying glass it looked perfect but i wont know till tomoz when i fill it....