300tdi silencer dimensions

piper109

I converted a V8 Disco 1 to 300tdi about 18 months ago. It runs well and I am pleased with the conversion.

It is however a bit loud.

I bought the engine, transmissions and lots of parts from a UK vehicle and fitted them in the USA but I did not bring in the exhaust as it was big and unavailable at the time. I just brought in the bent pipe that attaches to the exhaust manifold and grafted on a free flowing exhaust system made locally. It is a bit loud and tractoresque so I want to quieten it down a bit. Stock parts cannot be bought here.

I have a 3" bore free flow silencer in the middle position then its 3" pipe to the rear. I'm thinking that I should fit something akin to the rear stock silencer.

Could someone please give be rough dimensions on the inlet and outlet diameters plus box size of the UK 300tdi rear silencer?

Other ideas would be welcomed. I'm looking to please the neighbours and the missus without strangling engine performance.

Thanks, Steve

according to my exhaust book, the outlet pipe on the middle box is an external diameter of 60mm, so internal (allowing for wall thickness) would be about 57mm.

if fitting a slip type joint (ie rear pipe slides over outlet of middle box) then you would need an internal on the flare of 60.5mm. as for the rear box, some people just use a cherry bomb type box in place of the rear box.

you say you have a free flow silencer in the middle, is there anyway of adding some internal baffles? could be another option