300tdi immobilisation-key-set

ivanlrlukic

A '97 300tdi disco has been considered for purchase.

Current owner tells that only one set of keys is available.

Set consists of:

- two button key fob (for central locking and engine immobilisation?)

- key for engine starting and door locking/unlocking

- small black barrel like device (1cm in diameter, 2cm length) kind of immobilisation device?

With how many sets new disco was delivered?

Is this "small black barrel device" original equipment or some aftermarket upgrade? Anybody recognizes it from spartan description? Can it be equipped with more devices or easily removed from system?

How to check how many two-buttons key fobs are programmed for this very vehicle?

My goal is to protect purchased vehicle from "accidentally discovered set of keys"...:-)

I know owner manual contains most of this information but it seems it is not available in pdf on regular places :-(

Discos originally came with two keys and fobs. Normally the fob needs to be in the region of the ignition to disarm the immobiliser. 95/96 Discos also have a "spider" which is part of the immobilser system hidden behind the radio (in an inaccessible area)these fail regularly! Land Rover made an upgrade which effectively replaced the spider. The small black barrel is part of that upgrade and is required to disarm the immobiliser.

It sounds to me like the black barrel is part of an aftermarket immobiliser. Regardless of whether the 'spider' is active or bypassed, you should only need the fob for disarming the factory immobiliser.

I bypassed the spider on my '96 300tdi Disco a while ago because it suffered the usual dry solder joint problem and prevented starting the engine as and when it felt like it. Without taking the dash apart there would be no way of knowing this as the fob factory fob is still required for starting and the alarm also still works.

Of course the other original key/fob could be out there somewhere, and it will still be programmed to the vehicle. If you are worried that the seller is dodgy enough to nick the car that they have just sold you, then perhaps you should look elsewhere! I bought my Disco with only one set which I found to merely be an annoyance that I didn't have a spare! The previous owners would have no idea where to find it now if they decided to steal it back with the spare keys...

Dave

I may have been mistaken regarding the "black barrel" being a Land Rover replacement, but I was almost sure I had read a couple of posts on other forums stating it was. I had trouble with my alarm/immobiliser when I first got my Disco so trawled for answers. Does this http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f8/toad-immobiliser-124180.html look like yours?

Two button fobs can't be programmed yourself they need diagnostic equipment, have a look at http://www.remotekey.co.uk/cars/land-rover/discovery-I-1995/ for more info.

I may have been mistaken regarding the "black barrel" being a Land Rover replacement, but I was almost sure I had read a couple of posts on other forums stating it was. I had trouble with my alarm/immobiliser when I first got my Disco so trawled for answers. Does this http://www.landyzone...ser-124180.html look like yours?

Two button fobs can't be programmed yourself they need diagnostic equipment, have a look at http://www.remotekey...scovery-I-1995/ for more info.

Well, TBH didn't look that close at it. Will check it & report next time.

Thanks for the valuable info regarding programming new key-fob