Key fob suddenly stopped working

2002 Def 90 county. My problem began with the interior light which stoped working. I took it out and it appeared fine. I remembered fixing the same problem by changing a fuse once, so I checked the ones that appear relevant, then I checked them all. Everything was fine. Scratched head, checked bulb again. Noticed that the metal contact at one end was loose, and not touching the fillament. Fixed this at it eventually worked again. Tidied up, shut the door, went to lock it with remote key fob, nothing. kept pressing the button, still would'nt lock. Put key in the ignition, and the imobilizer light illuminated and it naturally would'nt start. Went to try the spare key fob though, and it opperates just fine! A couple of hours later and the original fob continues not to do anything. What can I do to get this original fob working again, so I'm not relying only on the spare? Thanks in advance!

At the moment I dont believe the battery to be at fault because you usually get a bit of warning. This fob had been working first time every time with no sign of fading power. I also think the vehicle makes a 'chirping' noise to warn of a dying fob, accompanied by extra flashes of the indicators etc? This simply stopped working altogether, after my meddling with the fuses.

Took it to the dealership to try the battery idea, they changed the battery and it still did'nt work so it was concluded that the fob and the vehicle were now out of sync with each other. Had to have both fobs re-coded, as just re-coding one renders the other useless. £54 later I will think twice about meddling with fuses as a first diagnosis of electrical issues.. The coffee was free though and I picked up a new interior light bulb while I was about it.

Nect time it happens just google for this and do it yourself for free ;-0) Sorry should have said try this first:

I got the procedure from Land Rover and confirmed it on www.programyourkeys.com

This assumes you have one or two of the correct fobs with good working batteries (Batteries CR2016 3volts).

Ideally, you need three persons for this. One in the drivers seat with keys in the ignition; one at the driver's door with spare keys in the door lock and one at the front of the car to work the bonnet switch.

Start with the ignition off and bonnet open with the bonnet switch pressed down.

Then you have to complete the following sequence within eight seconds:-

1. Ignition on - ignition off.

2. Lock doors - unlock doors.

3. Release bonnet switch.

4. Ignition on - ignition off.

Then, if alarm is set the horn will sound and the LED light on dash (in the middle of the dash under the radio compartment) will light.

Now, the programming of the fob or fobs can begin.

Press and hold down the button on the fob until the red LED flashes fast.

Then repeat for the second fob.

When finished wait for the LED to stop flashing or the alarm will go off. (This advice courtesy of Member Grantc).

The dash LED will go out if both fobs have been programmed successfully.

If the second fob does not work, you have to do the first fob again and then the second fob again as part of the same sequence. In other words, if you want two working fobs you must program them together.