Diff Slop

Frax

I was for a 70 mile round trip yesterday and I started to get a strange metallic noise on acceleration.

It only happened when power was on and stopped when I was not pushing the throttle. :(

Today I jacked up the back end and turned the wheels one at a time – when one was turned the other turned in the opposite direction and prop also turned (normal I think) slight movement in UJ’s but quite a bit of slop in back diff when I turned the prop by hand. Decided to drain the oil to check for any metal, nothing there so filled up with new. :glare:

Next the front end jacked up, turned the wheels again by hand but this time only one wheel turned along with prop, the other wheel did not turn ?? – same both sides. Not sure about this one. :huh:

No strange noise from back or front.

Went for a run and the noise had gone except for the slack being taken up on the transfer box and diff on take off.

Did find that the diff breather pipe had melted and sealed si the diff could not breath - fixed and re routed.

Is there anything you can do about the slop in the diff and is my front end working as it should. :wacko:

Regards

Frax

font diff sounds ok wouldnt worry about it not turning in the other direction could be that the brakes are tight on the front. but if u have a lot of slop in the rear diff normaly results in a whinning noise best way to test a faulty diff is turn full lock stick ur head out the window and listen for any loud whinning noise front or rear.

Slop on power take-up can be a number of things, including diff wear. There are basically two areas where diff wear can cause slop - too much backlash between the crown wheel and pinion (but as this should be only .15 - .27mm for the Salisbury diff this is not likely to cause such obvious slop), or wear between the spider gear splines and half-shaft splines.

One of the more likely culprits is wear in the half-shaft / drive member splines. These wear from a lack of lubrication (poor design by LR). Wear in the prop shaftr UJs are also a common fault. And possibly wear in the T-box output shaft / hub splines.

Cheers.