DISCOVERY 300TDI REFURB .

coachman

Hello good people , I am getting to grips now with my Discovery ,after repeatedly cleaning and scrubbing carpets and seats AND still havind the smell of Dog in the car ,I decided enough is enough ,so armed with a Stanley knife I proceded to remove the rear footwell carpet and padding ,this progressed into removing the front carpets and padding ( read sound proofing ).All this alone must weigh in at 50kg, plus the water content.All the carpets and padding are now in another rusty box this time it is a council skip ( ho ho ).But unfortunaately ,I have unearthed lots of other holes ,foot wells front ,seat belt points ( for fnt seat /s) more on the rear wheel arch . These probs will have to be looked on as an on going task , luckily I have founnd a good man with a welder .Question ,should the metal be cut away to a nice solid piece before the new piece is welded in and should the metal /s be painted before they are covered up , if so then I can do this and save my man some time and grief ( and me some dosh ). I also need the offside cill/s the near side looks good ( it may have been replaced at some time ) the arches are both shot . Does anyone have suggestions for a reasonable supplier or suggestions as to how to do D.I.Y ,I can borrow a welder and learn .I shall try and attach some pics .I eaagerly await your ressponse PLEASE .coachman

For panels YRM are youre people, good quality, nice people to talk too very helpfull.

http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/discovery-1-parts-9-c.asp

Yes go for it yourself, have a trawl though the topics in this forum and you will find lots of help and information, as all Disco owners have been in the same situation to some degree.

Just type in welding in the search box in this forum

Yes,yes! Go and get a MIG welder and earn a really great sense of satisfaction by doing it yourself! Not to mention saving a great deal of money! It is essential that you practice with the welder and reach a good, repetative standard before welding the vehicle. It took me about 20 hours of practice before I was hitting the right standard most of the time, and after nearly 2 years (on & off) rebuilding my Disco, I still find some aspects hard, but you quickly get to know your limitations. I used YRM panels a lot, but I also used several sheets of steel from my local smithy to replace flat areas. I made up a full size cardboard mock-up of the front inner wing structures and used them as templates to cut the steel panels. Bent them to shape with two lenghts of angle iron and the trusty workmate. A new front (headlight) panel assembly fixed to its chassis mounts, and careful measurement before and after made sure everything aligned properly before final welding. Very straightforward and saved a lot of cash. I'd have used the YRM panels if I could have afforded them, just to save a lot of time. I bought the rear floor panel, and both cills, but rebuilt the rear area surrounds and both footwells from sheet steel. Cut everything back to good metal and weld in new. I stripped my vehicle down to its bare bones, including all the aluminium panels, and removed all the inside trim, including the headlining, facia, heater, etc. I should have done this from the beginning, but it all came off as the project progressed. It was the only way to get good access to the rust. There's loads of good advice in the pages of this Forum, and plenty more on the Web.

• 6 months later...

Hi Coachman did you do the work yourself in the end or did you let someone else do it for you I hope you still have the Disco I bought one back in June this year & it had a few problems with rust but it's all done now see here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v63/jimday/Disco%20Photos%201/ the new boot floor was the last bit to go in but caused me a few problems, the biggest one being I had a heart attack just as I finished it. I still need to sort out a few bits like the sagging headlining & a few other ods & ends then it's MOT time

Hi Coachman did you do the work yourself in the end or did you let someone else do it for you I hope you still have the Disco I bought one back in June this year & it had a few problems with rust but it's all done now see here http://smg.photobuck...Disco Photos 1/ the new boot floor was the last bit to go in but caused me a few problems, the biggest one being I had a heart attack just as I finished it. I still need to sort out a few bits like the sagging headlining & a few other ods & ends then it's MOT time

Nice work there Jim, looks very good, not wanting to pick but it looks like you bolted the rear floor down? Just hope lady luck is with you at MOT, I had a previous Disco and the MOT tester did pass her but he also made the comment "the rear floors were spot welded into the Discovery, a replacement should not be fixed by any other means", just meant I had to take it home rather pee'd off as it originally came home with 6 months test left on it when we got it, and then set about welding it along its edged where it meets the rest of the shell, ho hum.

Nice work there Jim, looks very good, not wanting to pick but it looks like you bolted the rear floor down? Just hope lady luck is with you at MOT, I had a previous Disco and the MOT tester did pass her but he also made the comment "the rear floors were spot welded into the Discovery, a replacement should not be fixed by any other means", just meant I had to take it home rather pee'd off as it originally came home with 6 months test left on it when we got it, and then set about welding it along its edged where it meets the rest of the shell, ho hum.

Well I have spoken to my MOT tester & he says that the floor is not structural as the Disco has a seperate chassis the only bits of the shell he is interested in is the seat mounts & the seat belt mounts so I guess I wil find out when it comes to the time for the test LOL but thanks for your comments