Series 2 88" suspension!

Burnsinbarnsley

Hi, new to this club and to be honest, new to landie's!!

Could anyone please tell me the measurement on the rear n/s suspension, from hanger to shackle?

My landie sits low on the near side rear and the shackle is at its limit(sitting horizontal) so I'm wanting new leaf springs. My problem is I've bought a 1962 series 88" and it's supposedly got rangie classic axles and 3.5 engine!! Under closer examination, it's all a bit of a bodge!(after buying)

as I said, I'm new to landie's but after 1.5 outings I've got the bug!! Any help MUCH appreciated!!!!

Burnsy!

I'm afraid I can't help right now with the measurements, but if the hangar is horizontal something is deffinately wrong. Does the spring look flatish? It should be elliptical, even under load. Check the lengths of the leaves and make sure none of the individual springs have snapped!

How have they managed to put rangie axles on the front? If its not the spring, it could be a very crooked chassis, or a badly welded dumb iron..!

Hi, ill have a look at the spring tomorrow, and measure the hangers on one side then the other!

Best thing to say about the whole rangie axle thing is..... BODGED!

Can't believe I didn't notice before I bought it!! Truth be known, it had a convenient flat tyre on the o/s!!!!

Probably shouldn't of bought her but after getting the engine running and getting out! I'm impressed at what she can do!! I'm prepared to get some springs but want to know if they'll definitely fit, and more to the point, sort it out!!!

Hope it's the springs that are tired!!!!!

Thanks for quick response!!

the dimensions are all listed in the workshop manual, if you google for "series workshop manual" you can download it fairly easily

in part 6, on page 24 you'll find a diagram and all the measurements you could want!

Right, I've got somewhere!!!

1140 from centre of hanger to centre of hanger! Found some new springs that measure 1143 centre to centre!

Hope this sorts the job!!

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I'll need more!!

I'll post as and when I manage to get them fitted and let you know!!

Thanks again!!!

Paul!

Right, I've fitted the n/s leaf spring and the shackle was really seized!! Attacked the bush and pushed in one out of the old spring. They seemed quite new!??!

The ride height has improved, so to say it sits almost level on the rear now!!

Could it have been the shackles that were at fault??