Discovery 300TDI Rear Door 'Stay' Bolt/Access?

davidmbell

Hello all, new here with a 1994 Disco 300TDI.

On the 'arm' that stops the boot door opening too far there's a pin/bolt style affair that the arm/stay pivots or is hinged on, on the bumper/boot floor.

Anyway mine has corroded and fallen into the bumper, so there's now nothing stopping my boot door swinging beyond where it should.

Now I've done a search and can't find anyone else with a similar issue, unless I've used the wrong search terms.

Any suggestions on how I might fix this? I've dropped a large flat bolt into it for now, but there's nothing stopping this jumping up and out, so I have to be v careful opening the boot door.

If I could get to the lower side of where this bolt drops into I could pop some washers and a nut on, but I can't see how I'd get access...

Any ideas anyone please?

thanks, in anticipation

David

That retaining pin is part of the rear body crossmember! If you start you may find alot of rust in it and regret cutting acces holes, It's a common rust trap... The proper way to fix it would be either replace the entire cross member if it's badly coroded (expensive unless you can weld), or make up a patch with said pin on it and weld / fasten however you choose.

Do a search for 'rear cross member' and you'll turn up some relevant posts.

Steve