Hella 12v 21w/6w Relay

Ian Barrett

Afternoon All.

Working on my mates S3 we're trying to fix his faulty indicators which are working / not working / solid on - depending on how they feel.

So we've got a relay out from behind the clocks to test it. Its a Hella 4NM001803-16 12v 21W/6W - which we think is in there because he has towing electrics.

The writing on the relay is all in German, but I think I've figured out the following

49+ should have 12v from ignitiion

49A goes to the switch

C2 goes to the indicator warning lamp

C is not used.

To test it I've put +12v into terminal 49+

then attached a test bulb to ground on the car and touch it on 49A and the bulb comes on and is pulsing very very fast with no click from the relay.

When I use the same test on some other relays I have (another Hella and a Britpart STC4793) and they all have a positive audible click which you can feel and watch the test bulb turn on/off.

Is this a good test of this Hella relay and does it sound like its knackered to you?

And if it is what do we replace it with because a search on the part number Hella 4NM001803-16 reveals nothing we can buy.

Thanks for your help.

IanB

The fast clicking of a flasher-relay is the way it indicates that it's not got the correct number of correct-wattage bulbs as a "load".

I suspect if you attach a couple of 21-watt bulbs to it rather than just your test-bulb, it will flash at the correct speed.

--Tanuki.

Thanks for the quick response Tanuki.

You're right of course. So I hooked it up to 2 bulbs and it was still flashing as if a bulb had blown - though noticably slower - and I could now hear it clicking.

So I hooked it up to 3 x 21w bulbs (burnt fingers and all) and I can now see the relay is very eratic. Ranging from quite slow to bulb-blown fast.

Is this an indicator (excuse the pun) that the insides of the relay are dying?

Excuse any spelling mistakes - after looking at 3 x 21w bulbs flashing away I now can't see a ruddy thing !!!!

the flasher in my S3 is very sensitive to voltage, if the battery is a bit low they don't flash at all.

it sounds to me that if its flashing fast with only 1 bulb attached, the relay is knackered. more bulbs should make it flash faster, not slower.