Hello again every one Discovery 300 auto box oil change !!&#33

coachman

Dear members , I am getting to the end of my service update to my Discovery 300 tdi , I have changed the oils to the ,engine ,front /rear axles ,transfer box .Next is the auto box ,and this is where I am becoming wary ,there seems to be schools of thought on how far to go with the oil change .

But as I see it you drop the oil from the drain plug and refill via the dip stick ,OR is there more to be aware of ,is there a procedure experienced by mechanicks that is a secret or am I being over cautious .

On draining the other gear oils I saved all the old oil and decanted into 2 litre milk cartons ,A to check on drained capacities ,B to check on condition ,these tasts showed ,just short of 2 litre in front axle with the oil BLACK in colour .

Almost 1 3/4 litre in rear axle BLACK /GREEN in colour.

Almost 1 3/4 litre in transfer box light tan in colour .

After letting the contents settle for 24 hrs in the milk cartons I took a look ,there was no visual contaminents in the axle oils but the transfer box carton had 15mm (1/2 " )of water at the bottom ( HORROR ).

i HAVE PUT THIS DOWN TO BAD /NO MAINTANANCE , (BEWARE OF THE GARAGE YOU CHOOSE ),I have now satisfied myself that these fluids are know correct and I can carry on with confidence.

What about antifreeze /water change /upkeep ?thankyou Coachman . p.s I have also done the swivells with` one shot `,by turning the steering to one side this was easy to do ( it does not say this in Haynes manual though )

thank you for your reply , this logic is very near my way of thinking ,( if it isnt broken do not mend it ). But how do you know the quality of the oil ,going on what I have already removed I think this old girl has been neglected and could do with some tlc ( a bit like me )