Air Con Idler Replacement

SPendrey

Hello,

After a great day on Salisbury Plain (where, incidentally, they've opened up a lot of what were restricted byways and turned them into proper ones), I noticed a ssshhhh noise from the air con system on my 300TDI Disco. Having taken the belt off I could feel and hear roughness in the idler bearing/wheel, so I decided to pop it off and replace the bearing. I then managed to break the actual pulley while trying to hammer out the bearing, and so I ordered a replacement.

Now, to the point of this post. I looked up the original part number, ERR2798 but when I went to order it the system suggested I use ERR7295 as this part supercedes the previous. I'm at work now, so can't check until I'm home, but I'm confused because they look a little different, and I wonder if the bolt/cover holding the pulley on will fit the new part? Notice the extra flange (or whatever its called) on the new part? Also notice in the third attachment (Pulleys) my idler pully also has a large washer-like-thing as seen on the tensioner (item #4). I imagine I just bin that bit, and use the bolt alone?

Anyone else done this replacement? Thanks,

Scott

post-11857-0-62284400-1347529098_thumb.jpg

post-11857-0-76080400-1347529100_thumb.jpg

post-11857-0-62873700-1347529591_thumb.jpg

Both parts with and without the 'washer' can be used. I think the shield was to keep grunge out of the bearing. BTW it is not necessary to hammer out the bearing, all you need is a vice and sockets of various sizes. I must have changed hundreds of these on services. The bearings are cheap so we used to change any suspicious bearing. Most of the bearings are 6203's but in true LR fashion, some are another type - I forget the number off hand.