Fitting r380+transfer box, easier taking engine out?

TobyMellin

Hi all

Firstly the car is a N reg 300tdi disco currently with an lt77 in it(someone in the past decided to downgrade from an r380 for some reason).

Unfortunately, both my gearbox and transfer box have gone! I've got a replacement r380 gearbox and transfer box (bolted together) ready to go in. My question is, would it be easier to take the engine out, bolt the new box's to the engine and then drop it all back in? Or put the Gbox and Tbox in separately with the engine still in?

Does anyone have any guides lying around to help?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Toby

definitely leave the engine in there,

if youve got a crane for taking the engine out then use it through the gear change hole to drop and lift the boxes as one ,

you'd lose air con , coolant, oil, and pas for a start if you drop the block and i would say fitting in one go is a heavy risky job dropping that all through the bonnet hole

Sorry just realised I put this in tool and fab, and not in the Disco section!

I haven't got an engine hoist, I was just gonna use the Loadall at home, so don't think that'll fit through the door!:lol: I've had this discussion with a few mates, and I think it'll be wise to leave the engine in, and struggle underneath. I do actually have a ramp at home, but it's currently broken and is being used for storage of drums and tractor wheels! :lol:

Cheers for the input :i-m_so_happy:

toby

20120715_110652.jpg

20120715_110755.jpg

did this on the campsite in wales at the j33p event , 180 miles away from home

lt77 locked up so we took it back to camp sourced a replacement from a breaker that day and replaced the lt77 and lt230 that evening to use the car the next day before then driving it home

we had a halfords 150 piece set and a tool box of bits/ bars , there were 4 of us but it was done in the field after a days off roading and after me rolling my range rover and beating it back into a driveable state for the following days off roading and the dive home

20120714_153354.jpg

thats mine an hour or two before the swap (so we were bruised and battered)

cage took the brunt of it although ive had to do some major work to keep it on the road as it was structurally damaged but its almost there now ive had some time to work on it