Auto gearbox broken?

zardos

When performing a 3 point turn off road in between trees last weekend I bizarre thing happen with my Disco1 3.9 v8 zf hp22

I selected reverse and tickled the accelerator to reverse, and then braked to a stop.

Then with the foot on the brake (and not on the accelerator, so engine was at idle) I selected drive

The vehicle shot forward at a high speed, the brakes did not stop it even though I increased the pressure.

A large tree quickly stopped the vehicle and I quickly killed the engine but not before the rear pegged arb diff or a half shafts blew as the engine continued to push against the tree (the rear was more loaded that the front due to slope of the ground and levels of grip)

It felt like the torque converter had immediately locked up on selecting drive and the brakes/tree did not provide enough stopping power to cause the cause the torque converter to allow normal slippage (if that is the right term) with the engine at idle (around 800rpm)

After recovery it has not done it again.

Has anybody else had a similar situation?

Is there a problem with my AutoBox and what is the problem?