Land Rover 90 Defender ignition coil wiring

Hi guys/girls,

I need some help with my 1986 V8 ignition coil wiring.

Firstly, I do not need a ballast resistor because of my coils rating. So am i correct in staying I "do not" need to feed the white/purple wire from my starters "output" to the coil for cranking?

Secondly where do I get the supply for the coil from? I'm guessing its a white cable as that's the "switched live". But where do I feed the coil from? is it a connection in the dash loom, does any one have a photo?

And last but not least do I feed the internal fuel pump from the coil or in the main loom? also switched live?

Many thanks

Hello

I would say that as you are using a 12v. coil there is no need for the feed from the starter solenoid (which by passes the ballast resistor thus ensuring the low voltage coil gets full power when starting)

Don't have a wiring diagram for a Defender, but the ealier RRC diag. shows coil feed as White from ign. switch and the fuel pump feed, also White, connected from this same coil feed.

Hope this may be of some help.

Can't you find a white feed at the multiplug on the bulkhead, to the right of the clutch master cyl. looking from the front, and trace it through? My own (diesel) 90 has white feed there.

If yours was originally a diesel the feed to the stop solenoid could probably be used if you can't find a white.

Otherwise, a job for the test lamp or meter.