TD5 engine swap 10P to 15P - need help with coding injectors

medusan

Hi,

I have just swapped my TD5 Discovery 10P engine for a TD5 15P from a Defender (apparently). It is all plumbed in and wired up. After a lot of fuel purging it started, ran very rough for about a minute and then died. It did this a couple of times. I know i have to get the new injectors coded into the ECU (NNN model) but i do not have access to a Nanocom/hawkeye or testbook. I borrowed my brothers SNAP-ON Ethos but that unfortunately only reads the codes and resets them by the looks of it. I have the codes of the injectors ready to put in. I was wondering if there was anyone in the Gloucester area who had access to a Nanocom or such and would be willing to help me out.

Cheers, Medusan.

It seems to purge the air out of the fuel system - we turned the ignition on and off for about 10-15 times and then it fired up - however to get it to fire up again we had to do the same. My brother who is a mechanic but not a landy expert then said it sounded like what he would call diesel knock and thought it would be sorted by getting the injectors coded so they worked properly - problem is it is a 15p engine from an unrelaible source i have found out - i was told it was running when it was taken out. Just really want to rule out the injectors..

I had to replace my cylinder head after I bought my 'good engine' and the replacement head was second hand- a bit of a risk. After fitting I had exactly what your getting, it would purge air out and run for maybe 2- 4 minutes. Turned out the new head had cracks at the injector seats and combustion gases were getting into the fuel rail. Not sure if a 15p engine works in the same way as the fuel rails are different.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end i went out the next day and tried the turn on/run fuel pump, turn off, repeat, exercise several more times and it fired up and ran ok. I then turned it off after about 5 mins and it fired up fine again. I guess i had not purged all the air out of the system. A fellow D2 owner from the D2 Boys Club forum then came around with his Nanocom and we coded up the injectors to the ECU and it ran even sweeter. I now also have a an EU2 map to put on my ECU(NNN) which again should hopefully have it running even sweeter. Lesson learned..be a bit more patient....nice to have finally proven that with a little tweaking you can replace a 10p with a 15p engine! Cheers, medusan