300 tdi discovery up grade

coachman

Hello fellow Discovery owners , I have treated this old Disccoovery to some much nneeded T.L.C ,now the mechanics are sorted ,I am to start on the interior . The biggest problem is the headlining whidch iis sagging ,I have chance of a perfect headlining from a 200tdi ,`k` reg Dicovery ,the question is will it fit ??? a Discovery `L` reg300tdi . How is the lining fastened to the `roof` are there steel bands across or do es it stay up because of its own shape ??? .Will the tail lights which incorporate indicators fit /replace the tail lights withoout indicators ,these indicator tail lights are also from the `k` reg 200 tdi Discovery .thank you coachman ,

Yep head lining fits the same but watch you don't shear off or round off the screws when removing the sun visors, the lining is fibre glass and foam sandwich and is held up mostly by the trim and a couple of pop in pins in the middle and a ledge at the back which it hooks into.

The lights are a direct swap, not sure if the wiring is in your plugs for the indicators though? But if not try to get the lighting plugs too and solder on the wires from the bumper indicators and job done, funny I am fitting the 300Tdi rear bumper on my 92 200 series to get the same effect.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yep head lining fits the same but watch you don't shear off or round off the screws when removing the sun visors, the lining is fibre glass and foam sandwich and is held up mostly by the trim and a couple of pop in pins in the middle and a ledge at the back which it hooks into.

The lights are a direct swap, not sure if the wiring is in your plugs for the indicators though? But if not try to get the lighting plugs too and solder on the wires from the bumper indicators and job done, funny I am fitting the 300Tdi rear bumper on my 92 200 series to get the same effect.

good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thank you old hand I am also one . the light clusters on early Discoveries always puzzled me ,why some indicators in the side pillars and some not ,surely better with in the pillars .Apparently to do with legislation at that particular time ,I just think typical British management .I had myself thought of extending the wiring as you say ,but was told it is a direct swap ,a lot of work required if not and with m.o.t coming up it would need a one shot hit .( or wait),Coachman .

For the wiring coachman it is probably as little as 30 mins with a soldering iron and some 2core cable and some heat shrink for the lights, I know that nearly all the 300 series Disco's had a one size fits all wiring loom and fitment of ECUs and anything not used still had a plug and allowed for easy up grading to things like electric windows and mirrors, I gutted out my 1998 V8 3 door to find all relevant plugs for all optional extras even though my car was below poverty spec the loom covered everything, it was easier and cheaper to produce it that way.

As for the light at the rear, legislation said that the rear lights needed to be visible even with the rear door open, and with the spare hanging on the rear door that really was not possible so relocation to the bumper was the easiest option.