Defender air filter LEAK,and pas LEAK and EGT(NO LEAK)

Hi all first of all thanks for previous help and advice on couple of questions on my ‘NEW’1993 defender 200tdi .Got it all back and working well today and am happy and relieved that didn’t muck it all up.

A couple more questions for the experts and knowledgeable

The air filter (round canister) seems to be leaking /blowing OUT air at the join (where it separates to install a new filter).

Should it be blowing OUT air? or sucking air IN if it leaked??

I think the canister may have had a little ding in it so will take another look tomorrow to see if I can get it more cylindrical to help it seal.

The seam is done up tight and the blowing seems to only be on tick over. I see in the parts book that the older TD`s and non turbos have an ‘O’ring that helps it seal but not the tdi.

I have stripped the PAS pump and put new seals on but I am not happy with the condition in pump with some scoring and marking on the pressure plate and pump outer member plate. I have got it back on the car (belt not on)and will put the belt on it tomorrow and will hopefully all be ok for now, but what I would like to know is if I manage to find another pump that is for spares/repair is it possible to swap the marked pressure and outer member plates or would they be matched to the individual housings.

I am in South Africa and parts here are much harder to come by and postage from UK would be costly which is why I am trying to keep all my options open .

Lastly I have a Madman monitoring system to put in an EGt Probe and want to drill my exhaust manifold close to the turbo(from the exhaust valves).The manual says it is safe to drill through with the car on a cold idle but I do not like the sound of this and would rather be extra cautious and take the turbo off.

What is easier (space/ tools /problems /time needed) to take the turbo off the manifold (I have the replacement gasket)or is it easier to take the whole exhaust manifold with turbo off from the cylinder head(don’t have this new gasket )??

Cheers all and have a great weekend

Andrew